What's new

Is it Possible to Create a Program on a Jailbroken iPhone 3G in Windows?

clm3s

Reaction score
I have a iPhone 3G, iOS Ver 4.2.1, that I would like to jailbreak and create custom programs for in a "Windows" environment. (I don't have a Mac computer.) I want to make my iPhone 3G essentially an iPod 3G with ONLY wifi access. (It has no cell service currently.) I have done many searches on the internet and here on this forum and cannot get a definant and clear answer for what I am looking for. I have a few brief questions that I hope someone here might answer so I can feel comfortable going forward with the jailbreak...

1) What is your opinion on which software is the best for jailbreaking an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1?

2) Can I make custom apps for the jailbroken iPhone on a Windows machine or is it a Mac only process?

3) I assume you need Cydia on the phone itself, but what software do I need to create custom apps for a jailbroken iPhone?

I have NO desire to do anything but create custom software for my jailbroken iPhone. I only have one phone to work with and I'd like to make sure I can actually make software for it before I bother to jailbreak it. Thank you in advance to anyone here who takes the time to answer this thread!

I have a iPhone 3G, iOS Ver 4.2.1, that I would like to jailbreak and create custom programs for in a "Windows" environment. (I don't have a Mac computer.) I want to make my iPhone 3G essentially an iPod 3G with ONLY wifi access. (It has no cell service currently.) I have done many searches on the internet and here on this forum and cannot get a definant and clear answer for what I am looking for. I have a few brief questions that I hope someone here might answer so I can feel comfortable going forward with the jailbreak...

1) What is your opinion on which software is the best for jailbreaking an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1?

2) Can I make custom apps for the jailbroken iPhone on a Windows machine or is it a Mac only process?

3) I assume you need Cydia on the phone itself, but what software do I need to create custom apps for a jailbroken iPhone?

I have NO desire to do anything but create custom software for my jailbroken iPhone. I only have one phone to work with and I'd like to make sure I can actually make software for it before I bother to jailbreak it. Thank you in advance to anyone here who takes the time to answer this thread!

1) RedSn0w is the universal go to jailbreaking program

2) You can, just that it is a bit tedious to make for only a single iPhone.

3) xCode maybe? You can test them by putting them back onto the iPhone and test them. There's no one single way of programming it. I know a few people that use Python, Notepad++, etc. I don't have much experience programming iPhone apps but I've had my share of studies and book worming

Thank you for your response!!!

So Xcode on Windows is pretty much a no I guess...

Does anyone have an opinion on how hard or easy it is to code right on the jail broken iPhone? Is that an app or does it come with Cydia?

Anyone have any words of advice or experience creating apps right on he phone?

What about Theos? Is it any good for devolving iPhone apps? Is it worth building a Linux VM just to run it?

Thanks!

I don't think it's even possible to code directly like you can on a computer since the processor probably can't handle many lines of code. The best option would be to code directly on a computer. Or you can probably use something like VNC viewer to control your computer on your iPhone and code there

To clarify, I was referring to the claims you can create apps right on the jail broken phone. I don't want to program on my iPhone directly as I would assume that would be super tedious, but since Windows lacks the framework to allow compiling of Xcode programming, I have been searching for other options. I have read of something called Theos for Linux but I have no idea if it's worth it. Also, as I stated before, I have read many time that you can program directly on the jailbroken iPhone but I have never seen this done or described. So far, this seems like my only two options since I do not own a Mac.

It's really too bad iPhone web apps don't have access to the "cool" iPhone APIs, then I could avoid all this trouble!

Thanks for the responses!

If you are serious about developing for the iPhone then you could get a cheap used Mac mini which is plenty to code on and should not cost you too much.