What's new

iphone

PaulF333

Reaction score
I have purchased a second hand iPhone 5c from a second hand shop and it is in perfect condition in original box etc. The phone works fine and exactly like it should except I couldn't get onto the internet without wifi as it said I was using a tablet or broadband and not a mobile phone. So I thought it was the sim card so I got that replaced but still the same. I then searched the imei number online and it turned out that the imei number is from an ipad mini 2. The phone looks exactly like the real one and none of the fakes I have searched online. I have updated it to ios 9.2 and had it connected to laptop, siri works too it just I cant go on to mobile data as Three Mobile don't allow me to use a mobile sim in what it thinks is an ipad. The imei on the box matches the one on the phone but apparently they are from an ipad.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do? And whether this is a fake or what has happened?

Thanks

You could give Apple a ring, They will know right away, There is a free number.
Let us know what the outcome come is please.

Last edited:
Hello,
I did phone apple the other day and they made me check the imei on the phone settings which matches the box and the back of the phone and they said they don't understand why the imei is coming up that it is from an ipad and they have never seen this before. They just suggested I get my money back for the phone
It is very strange, Is it likely the shop will refund you?

Hello,
I did phone apple the other day and they made me check the imei on the phone settings which matches the box and the back of the phone and they said they don't understand why the imei is coming up that it is from an ipad and they have never seen this before. They just suggested I get my money back for the phone
It is very strange, Is it likely the shop will refund you?
I agree. The best course of action at this time is to try and get a refund.

I'm curious as to the true nature of this strange iPhone. If it's possible, you might take it to an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment and have a full diagnostic run. It might clear up the mystery surrounding this iPhone.

Thanks for the replies, well I bought it online but via PayPal so I have opened a claim with them which got to wait to hear over the next 10 days but in the mean time I may make an appointment with the apple shop to try and find out the problem
A diagnostic from Apple confirming the iPhone as fake would certainly support your PayPal claim.

Thanks for the replies, well I bought it online but via PayPal so I have opened a claim with them which got to wait to hear over the next 10 days but in the mean time I may make an appointment with the apple shop to try and find out the problem
Please let us know the outcome.

I had my appointment at the apple shop yesterday and they confirmed that it is a fake phone but theysaid they had never seen this where the imei is changed to another device.
Its good you got confirmation from Apple, You shouldn't have a problem getting a refund with that back up.

It is a strange one, I've never heard of that either.