What's new

iPhone

Totalimus

Reaction score
Hello, so basically a year ago I bought a used iPhone 5s from a stranger. I checked iPhone's IMEI on one site, didn't see anything troubling and bought it.
After a couple days I checked the IMEI again on a different site and found out that the phone was bought in Germany (I live in Latvia) 1 month prior to my purchase and is tied to "TMobile DE" carrier.
So I figured he must have taken the phone on credit and immediately left the country, sold the phone and made some easy cash.
From what I found on the internet, my phone must have been unlocked using some kind of r-sim to work with all carriers I guess and that you have to unlock it again after an iOS update.
My current iOS version is 8.4.1 and the newest is 9.3.2

So here are my questions:
1. What will happen if I update my iOS, will I be unable to call, send messages to anyone?
2. What was my iPhone probably unlocked with, r-sim? If I decide to manually unlock it myself, which "special" sim-card would I need to use?

It sounds as if you effectively have a stolen iPhone. I suggest you contact the Apple Helpline.

Hello, so basically a year ago I bought a used iPhone 5s from a stranger. I checked iPhone's IMEI on one site, didn't see anything troubling and bought it.
After a couple days I checked the IMEI again on a different site and found out that the phone was bought in Germany (I live in Latvia) 1 month prior to my purchase and is tied to "TMobile DE" carrier.
So I figured he must have taken the phone on credit and immediately left the country, sold the phone and made some easy cash.
From what I found on the internet, my phone must have been unlocked using some kind of r-sim to work with all carriers I guess and that you have to unlock it again after an iOS update.
My current iOS version is 8.4.1 and the newest is 9.3.2

So here are my questions:
1. What will happen if I update my iOS, will I be unable to call, send messages to anyone?
2. What was my iPhone probably unlocked with, r-sim? If I decide to manually unlock it myself, which "special" sim-card would I need to use?
If you've been using it with a cellular carrier for a year then it hasn't got a blacklisted IEMI number. If it had been reported as stolen, it would have been blacklisted and you couldn't activate it with the carrier you've been using for the past year. You will, however, have to get it unlocked after updating to the latest iOS version.
You won't be able to use any cellular based services after updating, until you get it unlocked. This includes sending SMS text messages but not iMessages sent via WiFi.