What's new

Iphone X, XR, XS,XS MAX

Barbara D Vega

Reaction score
so hubby wants to buy a new iphone but he cant decide on which one to buy. There are so many options in the net and out of those he picked out X, XR, XS and XS max. we both are massive androiders who only recently got into apple so even i was baffled which one to recommend. So, id like to know a proper comparison between these 4 models. and i would like a recommendation on which one (not one out of those) i should buy in the future as well. thanks :):p

I would recommend an iPhone 8 Plus, iPhones with no home buttons comes with extra complications, I recently abandoned my iPhone X.

I would recommend an iPhone 8 Plus, iPhones with no home buttons comes with extra complications, I recently abandoned my iPhone X.
What extra complications are you referring to? In regards to the iPhone 8 Plus, itā€™s a three year old design and could possibly be discontinued as early as this fall.

@Nkonde
I beg to disagree. Iā€˜ve been using devices without Home buttons since the iPhone X came out, and there were absolutely no problems since then. In fact, I like Face ID, because it works better than Touch ID. I prefer gestures instead of using a Home button, for swiping upwards from the bottom to get to the home screen or the App Switcher, e.g.
You just have to get used to the gestures and features.

@Barbara D Vega
If possible, visit an Apple Store, compare the sizes and decide which one you like best. In general, Iā€˜d recommend getting the latest hardware, which would be the iPhone XR, XS, or XS Max.

Use Appleā€˜s site to compare the models:
iPhone - Compare Models

Hope that helps.

@Nkonde
I beg to disagree. Iā€˜ve been using devices without Home buttons since the iPhone X came out, and there were absolutely no problems since then. In fact, I like Face ID, because it works better than Touch ID. I prefer gestures instead of using a Home button, for swiping upwards from the bottom to get to the home screen or the App Switcher, e.g.
You just have to get used to the gestures and features.

@Barbara D Vega
If possible, visit an Apple Store, compare the sizes and decide which one you like best. In general, Iā€˜d recommend getting the latest hardware, which would be the iPhone XR, XS, or XS Max.

Use Appleā€˜s site to compare the models:
iPhone - Compare Models

Hope that helps.

I also agree with this and that it really all comes down to just having to get use to something different. I have the iPhone X now (I came from an iPhone 7 Plus) and it only took me maybe 3-4 days to fully get use to using the gesture motions and Face ID as opposed to having the home button and fingerprint ID. I havenā€™t experienced any issues at all.

To be quite honest it was a similar situation as going from a 6S plus to the 7 plus because those phones actually had a clickable home button where as the 7 line didnā€™t, I had to get out of the habit of actually mashing down on it to ā€œpressā€ but it wasnā€™t a huge deal at all. We are all so use to being on ā€œauto pilotā€ with day to day things, that when we have to switch it seems like a bigger deal than what it actually is. [emoji4]

I would suggest going into an actual store and playing with all those devices in person to see which is preferred. Good luck! [emoji1303]

I'd go play with them. On paper I planned on the XR, got to store, and liked the XS better once I played with them, but it felt too small (I was coming from an iPhone 7+) and ended up leaving with an XS Max.

I couldn't disagree more. Only took an hour or two to adapt to having no home button.. My iPad Pro, which I still use daily, still has a home button and I'm disliking it more and more every day. Face ID has proven to be more reliable than Touch ID, swiping up from anywhere on bottom of screen is much better than reaching for home button, etc. The phones with no home button are better in every way than phones with a home button if you ask me.

I'd go play with them. On paper I planned on the XR, got to store, and liked the XS better once I played with them, but it felt too small (I was coming from an iPhone 7+) and ended up leaving with an XS Max.

I couldn't disagree more. Only took an hour or two to adapt to having no home button.. My iPad Pro, which I still use daily, still has a home button and I'm disliking it more and more every day. Face ID has proven to be more reliable than Touch ID, swiping up from anywhere on bottom of screen is much better than reaching for home button, etc. The phones with no home button are better in every way than phones with a home button if you ask me.

EXACTLY this for me as well. I say and agree, get the Xs Max you won't regret it.

great recommendations guys! I finally found some real people who are actually helping! I suppose going down to the store and playing with them will do the trick huh. We just wanted to do some initial research before we got into it. Gods knows id hate to be "persuaded" to buy an overly expensive model with the lesser specs. Thanks for all the helpful comments. :D

great recommendations guys! I finally found some real people who are actually helping! I suppose going down to the store and playing with them will do the trick huh. We just wanted to do some initial research before we got into it. Gods knows id hate to be "persuaded" to buy an overly expensive model with the lesser specs. Thanks for all the helpful comments. :D

Yes, I agree. Going in person and actually seeing the devices is the best bet, especially how expensive smartphones are.

I love my X, but many new augmented reality features won't work with the X and older iPhones.
Problem is, I use 3D Touch all the time and the XS, XS Max, and XR (which doesn't appeal to me) will be the last iDevices to have it

I don't miss the home button one bit, I got used to not having one immediately and in fact I couldn't go back.

The differences between the models you've listed depend on budget and physical dimensions more than anything else. They'll all perform around the same benchmark, it's just a matter of do you like the larger phone vs. the smaller. And then the XR just offers a cheaper option with not as much bling.

I definitely wouldn't recommend buying anything with a button. That's terrible advice as those things are 3 yrs old at this point and as countless others have mentioned the removal of the physical home button is actually a welcomed feature for those that made the switch. Two days into my XS Max I couldn't believe I didn't make the switch sooner. It's so much more intuitive. When I got back and used my iPad with the fingerprint ID, it felt ancient. Once I got the iPad Pro 11, I was finally home button-less. It's great.

TL;DR Pick anything from an X - XS Max based on budget. They'll all perform around the same. If money is no concern, get the latest XS or XS Max. If you're trying to ball on a budget, go XR.

The X is awesome, I have no issues, and it does everything as it should! Face ID makes it much easier to navigate within secure sights and apps. However, I would wait 2 months for the new iPhone! If possible? Big and exciting changes coming this Fall!

A point from a nobody. I don't own one of those models mine is an Oldtimer. I just recommend that before you visit Apple, that you write down all the things that you're expecting your iPhone to do for you. Be it Touch lD or Face lD etc.
Get it right first time these iPhones are as you know very expensive.