What's new

iPhone X ‘notch remover’ app warning

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new app named Notch Remover promises to remove the black notch at the top of the display on the iPhone X. Lots of people apparently find the notch annoying and are talking about the app — but it's not worth the $0.99 you'll pay for it.

First, the app technically only removes the notch on the home screen by editing a photo that you can use as your wallpaper. It simply adds black to the top of the photo so that the notch should disappear from sight. It doesn't work well.

Finally, the app doesn't actually remove the notch anywhere else, like when you're in apps and in other places. It's a cheap Band-Aid for a problem that doesn't really exist.

Just double tap the screen now and it reduces the screen size to leave out the notch, well in films anyway.

This is the App on my phone, its called 'Notcho' and costs £1.99 in the UK so $2.61

IMG_1024.jpeg

Last edited:
Or use the Apple black wallpaper that not only saves power but hides the 'notch', this is my home screen

IMG_1032.jpeg

I was very apprehensive about the notch when I watched the keynote release. However after receiving my X on release day, the concern over the notch vanished for me after just a couple of hours of use. I know it is different for everyone and how they use their phone and what they are viewing - so it is good to see work around for those who don't like the notch.

I have no real issue with the ‘notch’ other than it takes up a chunk of the supposedly edge to edge screen.

I tend to choose my phones like women, intelligent, classy, well proportioned, nice to touch and caress and with lots of energy, the only problem I have with the iPhone X is that it is now ‘horny’ so that has upped the game and put it ahead :).

Why oh why are we still talking about this? Does anyone who has the phone care? Really? Does anyone who's used the phone longer than 2 seconds even think about the notch? The only time I even think about it is when I read that someone created an app to remove it. Then I'm like, "that's still a thing?"

Why oh why are we still talking about this? Does anyone who has the phone care? Really? Does anyone who's used the phone longer than 2 seconds even think about the notch? The only time I even think about it is when I read that someone created an app to remove it. Then I'm like, "that's still a thing?"
You will if you watch a film on it and it's like having someone at the cinema in front of you annoyingly in your way, it is then that you realise you have been deceived by Apple marketing by its size, you have to double tap to go to the smaller mode which in fact it is probably compatible with an iPhone 5

You will if you watch a film on it and it's like having someone at the cinema in front of you annoyingly in your way, it is then that you realise you have been deceived by Apple marketing by its size, you have to double tap to go to the smaller mode which in fact it is probably compatible with an iPhone 5
I watch Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube on mine every day. Yes, there's a blank spot there, but I am not drawn to it like you are. My advice to you is swap out phones again with your daughter.

I watch Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube on mine every day. Yes, there's a blank spot there, but I am not drawn to it like you are. My advice to you is swap out phones again with your daughter.
You do realise your losing 5% of everything you watched, perhaps there should be a discount to X owners who don't get to see the whole film when paying for a download ;)

You do realise your losing 5% of everything you watched, perhaps there should be a discount to X owners who don't get to see the whole film when paying for a download ;)
As I said. It's probably better for you to swap out and get your old phone back. It sounds like you're unhappy. You do have 14 days to return it.

As I said. It's probably better for you to swap out and get your old phone back. It sounds like you're unhappy. You do have 14 days to return it.
I'm not unhappy I am just an old grumpy person who likes things how they should be, in the olden days we didn't have these slime ball marketing spinners who are carefully economic with the truth with you ;)

Well, I for one have been waiting for this phone since the original and I'm very happy it's here and very happy with mine. I hated the large size of the Plus models and didn't enjoy the 4.7" screens of the smaller ones, so this is a perfect compromise. As I said in other post, my 2 cents. Take 'em for what they are worth. But the 2 little pennies come with some personal experience.

Apple Phones I've had:
iPhone 4
iPhone 5
iPhone 6
iPhone 6S Plus
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone X (Hopefully my last purchase for a few years)

I've also had a ton of Android phones. I've probably had twice as many Android phones over that same time period of about 5 years. I've searched high and low for a phone with a large screen and no boarders, but small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket. I understand the need to place senors in the top and I'm very happy with how Apple handled the sensor issue. I see no problem with the notch and I'm happy with the Apple solution of handling the front facing sensors. I would actually hate it if they had the full top boarder that pushed the entire screen down further the way Samsung handled it. One of my coworkers has the Galaxy 8 and it's really tall. Overly Tall. Had Apple done that, I would still have the iPhone 7 Plus. It's almost as if Apple asked my opinion, which they didn't, but this is exactly how I wanted them to handle the issue. Clock on one side, signal on the other. It's perfect.