What's new

iPhone won't display a screen after battery change

3Stang

Reaction score
So I took my iphone 5 apart to change the battery. After I changed it and put everything back together the screen won't come on. If I plug it in it just makes the charging sound over and over again. I think I may have damaged the display cables in the process. So is it worth $80 for a new display assembly? Or should I get an iphone 5S? I went out to get a new sim for my old 4 so I'm stuck on it right now. I was really planning on waiting for the 6 or whatever but now I'm stuck with a slow 4. So do you guys think the display is the problem?

Your battery that could not have been older than 15 months, max, needed replacing? Pity you tried to replace it yourself. If it really needed to be replace Apple might have done it, no charge, but they won't touch the phone now that you opened it up.

Your battery that could not have been older than 15 months, max, needed replacing? Pity you tried to replace it yourself. If it really needed to be replace Apple might have done it, no charge, but they won't touch the phone now that you opened it up.
Yes it did need replacing. It would die at random percentages. The battery was $5 so it was worth it. Now im out $85. I just bought a screen. Apple wouldnt have done anything. It was already out of warranty, and it was around $90 to replace just the battery, which yes, I know, is the same as I ended up paying in the end. Ive always worked on all of my electronics myself and never had any issues. This is the first time something like this has happened.

Sounds like the ribbon cable from the main board might have gotten moved or unplugged. Open the phone backup and check all the flex cables and make sure they are all seated properly.

I thought of the ribbon cables first and they were all in order. I even pressed down on them while starting the phone to no avail. When I pulled the screen off I tore it off with much force as it was really on there. When I finally broke it loose from the frame with one hand my other hand was already tugging with the suction cup and took the screen off with the cables. That's why I think that's what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk