What's new

Iphone water damage

manny00

Reaction score
I put my iPhone in a cup of water on accident. I thought I was placing it in the empty cup holder slot. Only the connector dock was the area that got wet. Well I have the red dot indicating water damage. Plus now my phone doesn't have audio with media, when typing or when calls come in. So I can't hear audio on YouTube videos or Netflix. But I can still use the speaker option when making a call and Siri still works as well. For some reason the earphone is starting to act up as well. I'll lose sound and have to unplug and plug the earphones back in and usually works. Does anyone have any tips on how/where to get this fixed? Thanks.

The bad thing about moisture, even w/ getting a small portion of the phone submerged, is it's more or less a domino effect. Even after drying the phone throughly w/ the rice method or a blow dryer... more problems will tend to pop up at later dates. Do you have insurance on the phone? With your phone showing a red dot in the data port... warranty is out the window. :-(

Well... if you don't have insurance you're kind of stuck in a hard place. IMO, you only option is taking it to a reputable repair shop... or get ahold of Apple. Apple will repair damaged phones out of warranty. How much they charge depends on how much work they have to do.

The water was just on the dock area. It was seriously about a quarter inch of water. The guy at the store says there's corrosion on the connection so the iPhone gets confused and thinks its docked and that's why the volume cuts off. Not sure how true this is. But if it's only located at the charging dock area wouldn't replacing this part fix this issue?

The water was just on the dock area. It was seriously about a quarter inch of water. The guy at the store says there's corrosion on the connection so the iPhone gets confused and thinks its docked and that's why the volume cuts off. Not sure how true this is. But if it's only located at the charging dock area wouldn't replacing this part fix this issue?
This is a possibility. The 4S really isn't that difficult to work on internally... unless you're completely non-mechanically inclined. I'll PM you a link w/ some good info.

And please look into getting a Lifeproof case for your phone. I have one and if you did , this wouldn't even have been a issue for you.