What's new

iPhone Use with Apple TV--Please Talk to Me

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Despite what seems like not alot of programming, I think I want Apple TV for Christmas. I often show videos and photos to the family before I sync, and I'd like to "play" with it on the big screen.

Other than the programming, can anyone tell me goods and bads of using iPhone to stream to Apple TV? Thanks!

I just bought one and for $99 it's ok. As far as photos you can stream from iPhone but not video shot from iPhone or any other video content, unless your jail broken on 4.2 then there's an app for that. The feature I really like is the quick access to Netflix with iPhone. For now it's more of an I want than I need, but like I said it's only $99.

Thanks! Can't stream video? Why am I reading that's one of the main things you can do!? What am I missing?

As far as photos you can stream from iPhone but not video shot from iPhone or any other video content, unless your jail broken on 4.2 then there's an app for that.

My phone has iOS 4.2.1 and is not jailbroken. I can stream video from the iPod app. Video from the Camera Roll app will not stream. I have moved videos taken with the phone's camera from the Camera Roll app to the iPod app and AirPlayed them over the ATV2. Downloaded music videos also stream.

As far as photos you can stream from iPhone but not video shot from iPhone or any other video content, unless your jail broken on 4.2 then there's an app for that.

My phone has iOS 4.2.1 and is not jailbroken. I can stream video from the iPod app. Video from the Camera Roll app will not stream. I have moved videos taken with the phone's camera from the Camera Roll app to the iPod app and AirPlayed them over the ATV2. Downloaded music videos also stream.

Thanks. Why would the very videos I own because I shot them be excluded from Airplay!?

Perhaps because they are HD? Might be too large to be streamed well enough...

How do you transfer from camera roll to iPod app?

Yeah, how do you transfer....:cool:

I did this only once because it's a pain in the butt to do but I got all my 'Camera Roll' movies to stream this way:

Connect the iPhone to your computer. On the computer 'Desktop' double click the 'My Computer' icon. When 'My Computer' opens, the iPhone should show up as a drive with a 'phone' icon. Double click on the 'phone' icon, the DCIM folder appears, and open that. All the pics and movies you made with the iPhone camera are there (that's the 'Camera Roll') unless you have deleted them from the 'Camera Roll'. Drag & drop selected files from the DCIM folder to another folder on the computer. Use iTunes to sync selected files within that "another" folder to the iPhone. They will sync to the 'iPod' app. Open iPod, playback a file, the AirPlay symbol appears at the bottom right of the iPhone screen, tap the AirPlay symbol to stream.

Last edited: