What's new

iPhone tethering data usage

aplees

Reaction score
Hello all hope to get your views on the below.

I have the new iPhone 6 plus and with my contract I got 20gb data per month. I was considering having my iPad constantly tethered to my iPhone but am concerned at the data usage. I know that on the iPhone apps and stuff are limited. Thus you can not do a iCloud backup on mobile data and such. But what about the tethered iPad. Would not the iPad treat the connection as a wifi connection and thus have the data limits off. I know that the iPad would show the tethered symbol but want to know if being tethered would chew up my data and if there is a clear difference between wifi & tethered on the iPad

Hello all hope to get your views on the below.

I have the new iPhone 6 plus and with my contract I got 20gb data per month. I was considering having my iPad constantly tethered to my iPhone but am concerned at the data usage. I know that on the iPhone apps and stuff are limited. Thus you can not do a iCloud backup on mobile data and such. But what about the tethered iPad. Would not the iPad treat the connection as a wifi connection and thus have the data limits off. I know that the iPad would show the tethered symbol but want to know if being tethered would chew up my data and if there is a clear difference between wifi & tethered on the iPad
You're correct in that the cellular data download limits do not apply to a device tethered to the hotspot from your iPhone. It's entirely possible to burn through your monthly data allowance in a very short time by downloading to your iPad while it's tethered to your iPhone.

This is what I thought. I could understand the laptop being connected and unlimited but the idevices know it is a hotspot by the tethered symbol replacing the wifi one so would have hoped the same restrictions to data usage would apply. Would have been a nice option.