What's new

Iphone Synchronising on itunes

navjon

Reaction score
I always find a problem when i synchronise my iphone/ipod with any PC, most of the times i am warned that i would loose my data if i proceed.

on the contrary unless i enable sync, i wouldnt be able to add multimedia files from the PC or retrieve the ones from my phone.

whats the way out?

iTunes will never delete data from your computer. It will however remove data from your phone if you don't have the relevant box ticked. For example. If the sync apps box is not checked when you sync, iTunes will remove all the apps from your phone, a backup of them will be created on your computer first. To get them back make surethe box is checked and resync. Same goes for music, videos etc...

From what you've written above "from any PC" I'm assuming you want to be able to add/manage your multimedia from more than one PC / iTunes instance right?

If not, and you are only using the one PC / iTunes, then it should be really easy for you.

However if you are doing this on multiple computers, is this the message you are getting?...

"The iPhone 'name' is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library? An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone wtih the contents of this iTunes library."

If it is, then it is just what it says, you can only manage the music/video library from one iTunes. I created the below post earlier but haven't had any replies yet. I do hope I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done using iTunes.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-4-help-15/two-instances-itunes-6884/

The way I do this, is have my home computer 'sync'd' with my iPhone, and when I want to add/remove music from my iPhone on another computer, such as my laptop or work computer. I just use foobar, which is an iPod / iPhone management / media player. There are others such as Winamp and amarok etc. However I can only vouch for amarok (linux) and foobar as definitely working properly.

Good luck and I hope you get it all sorted. If anything I've said is incorrect please feel free to correct me, I am new to iTunes but from what I gather this is how it is.

Craig

Hi Craigfoot, you sound just my man! I successfully loaded all my IPOD music via Itunes the day I bought my Iphone 4 in November.
Audibooks never got transferred. New music added to Itunes since then does not get transferred and still no maudiobooks. Any ideas?