What's new

iPhone storage

jmoze

Reaction score
I keep getting a message that the storage on my iPhone 6s is full. I've optimized photos, deleted data from the most space-hungry apps and still get the same message. Then I noticed that the "system" app is using almost 13 gb of my 16 gb of storage, and each time I delete an app or create space in some other way, the amount of storage used by the "system" app grows to take up that space. What's going on here, and how can I reverse this problem (or at least avoid being eaten alive by the system monster)?

May have to sell that phone and buy a second hand iPhone 6s with bigger storage. Don’t forget to backup and reset your old phone before selling it. Can’t think of any other way around the problem, sorry.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

This happened on my iPhone SE as well, and most of the things I tried didn’t help getting back storage space: turning off iCloud for photos, removing apps, offloading data, force restarting, restoring from an iTunes backup. Then I erased it completely, and set it up as new, without backup. If that’s possible in your case, try it.

Before doing so, make sure the images on your device are stored somewhere else. It’s possible to set up email accounts again after erasing it, so notes, emails, calendar events and contacts will be available after setting them up. If there’s something else that’s important to you, try saving it somewhere else but the iPhone.

Last edited:
And sometimes doing a hard reboot releases that system claimed memory. It has worked for me on my 16 GB 5S where space is at a premium.

Try the HD Movie download trick to. On my older phones, that always cleared up memory for me.