What's new

iPhone slowdown

It’s not “after a year of use”, it’s when the battery starts degrading.
The hardware performance is throttled to maximize what’s left of the battery life aka you’re due to replace it anyway so you might as well take advantage of the situation.

*sigh* In non-tech forums people are getting their shorts all in a knot.

Anybody know what kind of slowdown, the magnitude, we're talking about? Some guy was complaining about apps that used to take three seconds to load taking thirty. An order of magnitude slowdown does not seem very likely to me.

The problem is this brings Apple's integrity into question. They (say they) did this last year, why not tell people when they did it and why lie when asked specifically about slowing down older phones.

I have to point out that last year the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus were still within the warranty period and deserved new batteries from Apple - not a software patch to slow down the phone. Same with the new update that just added the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to the throttling.

This is a Bad Apple!

I have to point out that last year the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus were still within the warranty period and deserved new batteries from Apple - not a software patch to slow down the phone. Same with the new update that just added the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to the throttling.

This is a Bad Apple!
Apple only replaces the battery under warranty if it retains less than 80% of its original capacity.

I have no argument with what Apple did or why they say they did it, I am however very disappointed in Apple for not being up front with their customers when they first started doing this. How many people have or will needlessly spend upwards of $900.00 or more to replace a perfectly good phone that only needed a new battery for less than $100.00? Not cool Apple.

Last edited:
IMG_3887.JPG

You guys know lots more about this than me but I would like to give you something else to think about.
When Apple announce a new model, it’s full with new features, bigger this faster that etc.
To accommodate this a new iOS is developed shortly before (Beta) l believe and it’s tested by people on their present iPhone models for faults and stuff.

When Apple are satisfied it’s released and the World gets to use it. Some features are only available on the new iPhone model. However the Security Updates are available to all.

My NOBODY theory is simply that the existing is iPhone model is finding it hard work coping with the new the
iOS especially with a battery that could be more than a
year old. And simply needs changing.

A great solution from my point of view for my iPhone 5s for example were none of the iOS 11 shininess applies would be to offer the Security Only Updates for iOS 11