What's new

Is it just me or is the 5.0.1 JB real sluggish

pianoman

Reaction score
I've been wondering if this 5.0.1 jailbreak seems sluggish to any of you? My 4S suddenly seems like a 3GS in terms of its general speed. It's nowhere near as snappy as it was before I jailbroke it. I don't use dream board or any of the other things that I've read here can really slow your OS down. I just use the standard stuff: winterboard, gridlock, perpage+, BytaFont, etc.

Does anyone feel the way I do about this? And if so what are the most likely culprits, in terms of apps and tweaks that could be causing the slowdown?

Hi,

iPhones are just like a computer... the more you load or have open the more slow that run, just remember that. If you have a lot of tweaks it can impact the way that the phone perform for sure.

I been jailbroken for a long time and I had not experience this issue. However you may want to consider reboot the phone as well just in case.

My point was that compared to my 4.3.3 jailbreak and all the same Cydia stuff - this JB is much more sluggish. And was wondering if anyone else agreed.

I have to agree with iFrog on this one my own personal experience with 4S JB was that i saw no impact on performance until I installed winterboard it slowed my 4S way down i just uninstalled winterboard and every was lightening fast again ;)

Just my own experience

iNeoTom

I've not noticed any difference on my 4S since jail braking. I've added several themes and apps which I have downloaded from Cydia. Are you getting your apps from a good repo (no cracked apps)?

It doesn't seem to have slowed my phone down in terms of general use. It was a bit slow with apps that required internet but seems to have picked up again so could have been carrier related.

I've not noticed any difference on my 4S since jail braking. I've added several themes and apps which I have downloaded from Cydia. Are you getting your apps from a good repo (no cracked apps)?
Never a cracked app for me - but for the record that doesn't make the difference. The operations code is identical legal or illegal.

And I've used Winterboard on every JB I've done and it never slowed down an iOS before 5 on my 4s. And for what it's worth I uninstalled Winterboard just to check that angle - no difference. So it's not Winterboard.

MY phone is fine.................Tho I have made it sluggish experimenting with a bunch of stuff, but my usual setup (over 50 Mobile Substrate addons, and well over 100 Cydia extensions) is just fine. ;)

Never a cracked app for me - but for the record that doesn't make the difference. The operations code is identical legal or illegal.

And I've used Winterboard on every JB I've done and it never slowed down an iOS before 5 on my 4s. And for what it's worth I uninstalled Winterboard just to check that angle - no difference. So it's not Winterboard.

Thanks for the clarification! I did not JB my 3G so this is my first encounter with JB. I had read several comments, like yours, that indicated the performance had suffered after JB. Prior to JB my 4 S, I made several inquiries and the consensus was that the culprit was installing cracked apps. I've not installed any cracked apps so I can not confirm or deny.

If the performance is unacceptable go back to stock and re jail brake.

Have you noticed sluggishness on Wifi, 3G, or both? No issues here with my 4s. It's my first iPhone so I don't have anything to compare it to except pre- jail break and performance has been the same.

mwhartman said:
Thanks for the clarification! I did not JB my 3G so this is my first encounter with JB. I had read several comments, like yours, that indicated the performance had suffered after JB. Prior to JB my 4 S, I made several inquiries and the consensus was that the culprit was installing cracked apps. I've not installed any cracked apps so I can not confirm or deny.

If the performance is unacceptable go back to stock and re jail brake.

This is not entirely true. Some tweaks/apps from Cydia won't work properly at all....solely because they are cracks. And a lot of apps and tweaks now, need licenses to work. Some don't. The ones that need a license to activate are the ones that give the most problems. Sometimes they work work rite even if they ate free, and don't need a license.

However this does not always happen. And often doesn't. But always has the potential to.

Last edited:
Have you noticed sluggishness on Wifi, 3G, or both? No issues here with my 4s. It's my first iPhone so I don't have anything to compare it to except pre- jail break and performance has been the same.

Mine was 3G and although it is slightly slower than it was, that is to be expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm running the redsnow 5.0.1 jailbreak with corona on a VZW iphone4. I definitely notice some lag compared to stock. I typically find myself waiting just a few extra ticks for applications to open/respond after I've tapped the screen. This is particularly true in BiteSMS, but it's noticeable in all operations. Some games, like angry birds and draw something, crash on startup or during the game when they had no issues before the jailbreak. I haven't acquired sufficient knowledge (or time) to troubleshoot the issues. I have Winterboard, Springtomize, Activator, Gridlock, and Multi-icon mover installed, but I don't do any major theming. Everything downloaded legit from cydia or the app store... No cracks. Hard rebooting seems to make no difference. I haven't tried re-jailbreaking or selectively deleting apps. Any ideas?

For what it's worth, the lag slows me down just enough to be annoying, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I still enjoy the jailbreak perks.

Thanks and cheers!

I too have noticed some lag in the 5.0.1 untether.

But I pretty much figured out how to make my phone really smooth. The only thing I cannot seem to fix is a very slight delay in loading applications....and a very small amount of lag when closing apps with the home button to a full SpringBoard page. But that is it.

I use Speed Intensifier addon in WinterBoard (without the Speed Intensifier tweak installed..just drains the battery). Within WinterBoard I use the SI UnderClock addon and I really think it has really improved the animations in my phone a decent bit.

I am overall satisfied with the smoothness of my phone now that I have figured out how to keep it going well.

I have over 60 Mobile Substrate addons installed and well over 100 extensions installed!

Yes I know...that is a sh** load of tweaks rite?!

Well....the best way to keep your device running smooth is to install all your tweaks at one time.

Seriously.

I extract all my Cydia packages to a folder on my desktop.

Then then after restore and jailbreak I drag an drop the entire contents of the folder to the Autoinstall folder..reboot twice.

BiteSMS is one of the smoothed applications I have on my SpringBoard...that tweak is literally near perfection in my book...but I do always use the latest beta from the biteSMS repo instead of the public version..which I think is 6.2.

My phone is like ridiculously fast and smooth when you really consider how much I actually have installed. It's a lot of tweaks...

Obviously the more Mobile Substrate addons u have installed the slower your device will get.

When I install *almost* all of my packages at one time (doesn't really matter how you do it) my phone can function very well with an a** load of tweaks installed.

And when I use the SI UnderClock addon within WinterBoard...it's even smoother.

Love it.;)