What's new

iPhone reset question(s)

Bacchus

Reaction score
At times, when I reset my iPhone by simultaneously pressing the power and home buttons, the iPhone will vibrate a couple times during the reset process. Other times it doesn't vibrate. Is there some significance to whether or not it vibrates?

I ask this question because in times past, when the iPhone fails to vibrate during a reset, I have the feeling that the reset wasn't successful.

Today, for example, a game that I play fairly frequently developed a glitch of some sort such that when you click on the icon to begin the game, it loads briefly and then immediately reverts to the icon. I've tried deleting and re-downloading the game to no avail. I've done the above-mentioned reset a number of times - also with no success. What I've noticed, though, is that my iPhone hasn't vibrated during any of the resets I've tried.

Is there something else I should be doing to try to get this game back to functioning normally?

Do you have that game on another device? If so, and if it plays normally on that device, it would eliminate the game as the source of the problem.
You could try Resetting All Settings. This will not erase any data but may help if an accidental change in settings was responsible for the problem. You will, however, have to manually re-do your settings to suit your personal preferences after this reset as all settings go back to the factory default.

Sadly, I don't have the game on another device. And I'm prevented from downloading a second version of it to this iPhone.

I just wondered if there were a connection between the lack of the vibration during reset and the glitch the game seems to have. Why does it sometimes vibrate but not every time??

As for the full reset, I'll live without the game before I make that mistake again.

Once, in the past, I had a similar situation in trying to open the Fox News app. In that situation, once you clicked on the icon to open it, it began to show the little whirl-a-gig thingy telling you it was doing something but it never finished doing it. The whirl-a-gig would run forever.

I tried all the things Ive tried with the game and had no success with it, either. Finally, I just ignored the Fox News app and after a month or so it began working again. I don't recall whether the iPhone would vibrate during reset at that time.

This is certainly an annoying circumstance. Thanks, SciFan, for even considering it.

I'm sorry I couldnt have been of more help. I hope another member With the solution to your problem will be along before too long to help.

Just thought I'd bump this thread to bring it into the active posts for a while.

I'd really like to learn why my iPhone vibrates some times but not other times when doing a reset. My 'take' on it is that during a reset the diagnostic portion of the program is checking each function to be sure that it works. When it gets to the point of checking the 'vibrate' function the iPhone vibrates if it's functioning correctly but what does it mean if the iPhone DOESN'T vibrate?? What would cause the iPhone to NOT vibrate? How serious is it? How do I correct it?

I've tried resetting my iPhone twice after reading your thread, in spite of usually not rebooting it. What I noticed, was this: My iPhone never vibrates when I reset it. I don't do this very often. You shouldn't reset your iDevice regularly. Rebooting should be a last resort, when everything else (force closing app, restarting the iPhone, removing app and reinstalling it) didn't help.

It's not necessary to "correct" this behaviour, imo. My device is working without problems, e.g. There's no reason to worry about a not vibrating iPhone during reset, if everything else works as expected, and I'm pretty sure the vibration on your iPhone (or not vibrating during reset) has nothing to do with the app and the problem it's causing.

A reset/reboot/force restarting (as Apple calls it) suddenly stops all the processes running on your iPhone. It's like shutting of your computer by pulling the plug out of the wall. So there's not time to check the features and functions of your device.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, J.A.

When I do a reset, I first 'back out' of any app that I may have been running. I then click the home button to get me back to the first home page. To my way of thinking, there's nothing running at this point. I then hold the power button and the home button down at the same time until the screen with the apple logo appears. I then release both buttons.

I guess I'm one of those 'anal' types who just has a need to know how and why things work. There must be a reason why the iPhone vibrates sometimes but not at other times. And there may be no connection but I've noticed in the past that sometimes, if I'm doing a reset to clear up some sort of glitch, if the iPhone doesn't vibrate, the glitch isn't cleared up. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule so I realize it may not prove anything. But there seems to be a connection of some sort.