What's new

iPhone requires constant restore

Riyock

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a big problem with my iPhone 3G (not jailbroken or unlocked). I've been to the apple support page and read a lot on google but I haven't had much luck.

Basically every so often the phone (despite being on a fairly full charge) will switch off, and pressing the sleep/wake button or home key does nothing. This does not change even if I try charging it from the mains. If I try resetting it by holding both buttons for ten seconds I sometimes get the apple logo and then the prompt to connect the phone to itunes. The only thing that, temporarily, fixes the problem is if I connect it by USB to the computer. If I then open iTunes I'm told that the phone is in recovery mode and requires a restore before using.

If I go ahead with the restore, the phone goes back to its factory settings and appears to be working. However if left alone for a few hours it eventually and seemingly at random decides to lock down again and I have to repeat the whole process again. I don't add any apps or data (not even contacts) to it after the restore so I don't think that's the issue.

This all started when I dropped my phone while I was holding it. I'm normally careful but it happened anyway! The phone switched off straight after that and the problem described has been plaging it ever since. I don't know what the issue is but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something hardware based? Since it's out of warranty though I'm trying to find a way to fix it myself. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: