What's new

iPhone OS - Folders Guide

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone-folders1.png

Folders - A new way to organize your apps.

* Make room for more apps.

Thanks to the App Store, you can choose from over 200,000 apps and games. But these apps can fill your Home screens pretty quickly. That’s where the new Folders feature comes in. It gives you an easy way to keep your apps organized and declutter your Home screens. And you can launch your favorite apps with a couple of taps.

iphone-folders2.jpg

* Creating a folder is easy.

To create a folder, touch and hold an app until it wiggles, drag it onto another app, and you’re done. You can repeat the process with more apps. For example, you can put all the games your daughter plays in one folder, all your news apps in another, and all your productivity apps in yet another. You can also create folders and organize apps using iTunes on your Mac or PC, then sync it all back to your iPhone.

iphone-folders3.jpg

Naming your folders — it’s automatic.

iPhone automatically assigns a name to your folder based on the category of the apps inside it: Games, News, Sports, and so on. Of course, you can change the folder names to whatever you want, such as Katie’s Games or Baseball Apps.

iphone-folders4.jpg

Download apps to your heart’s content.

You can have up to 180 folders on your iPhone. And since each folder can hold 12 apps, that means you can keep up to 2160 apps organized on your iPhone at any time. Which is a great way to use all those gigabytes of storage available in iPhone 4.

I have to admit, this is a very amazing piece of information. In fact, I am reading it as a review on the new iPhone 4 folder creation. I found this new method quite amazing. But isn’t it not user friendly? I mean one won’t know how to create a folder if they don’t search around for information or they don’t even know that such functions exist. I personally think that they still need to have a menu or so to increase user friendliness.

CAAS

Last edited:
folders is really good to use especially when you have 9 pages full of apps and hate looking through it all, atm i have one folder but only a few pages of apps

I created a couple of folders on mine but it appears I'm unable to drag icons onto other screens. Say, on screen one I made a folder and then wanted to drag an app icon from screen two onto screen one and into the folder as well. How is this accomplished?

Never mind...I was being lazy. I figured it out that with the phone docked in iTunes you can use the app tab to move the icons. :)

It wsa just a little joke Brother. It's mildly funny if you let it be. But...sorry I guess. :)

those folders will be real handy once the pages go up to 6+ but atm i have the one default utilites one

I created a couple of folders on mine but it appears I'm unable to drag icons onto other screens. Say, on screen one I made a folder and then wanted to drag an app icon from screen two onto screen one and into the folder as well. How is this accomplished?

You can also drag the icon to the edge of screen 2 (towards screen 1) and hold it there for a few seconds and it will move over to screen 1. I found this out purely by accident. It took care of one major irritation I had now that I can have the icons I want on the main home screen.

Good to know. I'm still waiting on my Iphone but have already been doing some app searching and buying from Itunes. I was getting worried that I would fill up the phone with apps. I guess I haven't even put a dent in it being able to hold 2000+ apps.