What's new

iPhone Email Difficulties - IMAP to POP account

deacon123

Reaction score
Hi there. I currently have 3 email accounts set up on my iPhone. The primary one has recently somehow changed itself from a IMAP account to a POP account. I can no longer access older emails, like I had been able to with my IMAP account. The other two emails have stayed IMAP accounts. Is there any way for me to change it back. I am thinking that this may have been caused by me beginning to use the Mail app on my MacBook? Not sure, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Yptcn, I would, but I don't want to run the risk of not being able to get the email address back on the phone. Any other suggestions?
Thank you

I don't really have a good understanding of the whole "server" thing, and when i'm prompted to enter in the server name, I am not really sure what that means. Would you mind explaining?
Thank you

If you've previously synched the email accounts through itunes,just do it again.

English not being my first language it would be a bit difficult for me to explain , I 'm sorry … but basically , just put in the same info that you have for your account on your MB . Semel answer to you would be the best thing to do .

I don't really have a good understanding of the whole "server" thing, and when i'm prompted to enter in the server name, I am not really sure what that means. Would you mind explaining?
Thank you

The server is where your e-mail provider stores, sends out, receives your e-mails. If you go into your e-mail settings for your ISP e-mail account there is an advanced setting for them to either remain on the server or not. If they remain on the server of your e-mail provider, you can delete them off your phone, but they will still be available from your pc, work, etc because they are storing it for you on their server. Settings>Mail Contacts Calendars>your ISP mail account>Advanced>Delete from server>never

For Web mail accounts such as Gmail, Yahoo, etc., they have their own servers and so when you save an e-mail on your phone, it will remain on their server for you to retrieve from anywhere. When you delete it from your phone it will be deleted from their server and you won't be able to retrieve it from your pc or laptop.

Every e-mail provider has settings for their servers, so you will have to look them up to enter them on your phone.

Hope that helps. And I'm not the most tech savvy person either, so I may have not explained it in the best way, but that is how I understand it in a simplified way! :)

Last edited: