What's new

iPhone DIY Repair Questions

o_ryry

Reaction score
Greetings,

I do a lot of work on computers on the side and my friends asked me if I could replace their broken iPhone screens. Looking to capitalize on some extra work so I can put some more food in my fridge, I decided to look into just how one would replace the screen. I've watched a few different tutorials and have bookmarked two that outline in great detail how to take apart an iphone and how to put it back together. Apart from their being A LOT of screws, it's electronics repair is about as linear a project as it gets. Knowing that I can walk a straight line, I've decided to commit to the project. However, I still have some questions.

-Where can I buy parts for a reasonable price that I can trust? Is amazon a safe marketplace to buy from. Some of the parts there are much cheaper than other places I've searched, but are they as reliable?

-Are there any special details about changing a black phone to a red phone or any other color? I've seen some parts kits on Amazon include a "Proximity Sensor Conversion Kit". A quick search revealed that some have had problems with the conversion. Of course, this was in 2010. Can anyone chime in on this?

Finally, if I am posting in the wrong place, please don't delete this so I can copy and paste it into the right place. :)

Thanks.