What's new

iPhone crashes when not plugged in

Srta.TacoMal

Reaction score
I've got a 3GS, not jailbroken, and when it runs most apps, it crashes, as if it's suddenly run out of batter power. It has been doing this since before I had iOS 5. Sometimes it will restart when I turn it on, other times it will continue to crash while attempting to reboot. It seems like the fancier the app, the more likely it is to crash. Things like calls and texting, usually do not, but third-party apps and my GPS will usually make it crash. The problem started a few months ago; when my phone was below 30% the problem would occur. Then 50. Then at 75 or so, it would crash while running apps, and if it got below 30 it would not turn back on, claiming "dead battery". Yesterday, it crashed at 100% battery.

Now here's the thing: If my phone is charging, it never crashes.

Hard reboot does not help. iOS updates do not help. Taking the entire phone apart and putting it back together did not help. Nor did telling my phone I like it.

Some other problems with my phone is that the GPS is broken.

My hypothesis is that I've simply dropped my phone too many times and damaged the processor. But that doesn't explain to me why it works while charging. I'm looking for a cause more than a solution. Although if it's something I can fix by doing something besides dropkicking it out the window and buying a new phone, I'd love to know what it is.

So basically, if you can tell me why my phone crashes while unplugged but not while it's plugged in, you get a free virtual taco ^_^ Thank you, helpful folks!

Hello all, I have the same problem. I dropped my phone recently and the screen is cracked and it will not turn on at all. But as soon as I connect it to the charger it turns on and everything is fine with it....any help?

I have an iPhone 4

I've got a 3GS, not jailbroken, and when it runs most apps, it crashes, as if it's suddenly run out of batter power. It has been doing this since before I had iOS 5. Sometimes it will restart when I turn it on, other times it will continue to crash while attempting to reboot. It seems like the fancier the app, the more likely it is to crash. Things like calls and texting, usually do not, but third-party apps and my GPS will usually make it crash. The problem started a few months ago; when my phone was below 30% the problem would occur. Then 50. Then at 75 or so, it would crash while running apps, and if it got below 30 it would not turn back on, claiming "dead battery". Yesterday, it crashed at 100% battery.

Now here's the thing: If my phone is charging, it never crashes.

Hard reboot does not help. iOS updates do not help. Taking the entire phone apart and putting it back together did not help. Nor did telling my phone I like it.

Some other problems with my phone is that the GPS is broken.

My hypothesis is that I've simply dropped my phone too many times and damaged the processor. But that doesn't explain to me why it works while charging. I'm looking for a cause more than a solution. Although if it's something I can fix by doing something besides dropkicking it out the window and buying a new phone, I'd love to know what it is.

So basically, if you can tell me why my phone crashes while unplugged but not while it's plugged in, you get a free virtual taco ^_^ Thank you, helpful folks!

Do you always restore from a backup?