What's new

iphone compatability with Outlook???

smlobx

Reaction score
thinking about switching from a BB to an iphone but need verification that I can use MS Outlook as I need it for business.

Can anyone confirm and explain the process?

Thanks.

thinking about switching from a BB to an iphone but need verification that I can use MS Outlook as I need it for business.

Can anyone confirm and explain the process?

Thanks.
I just replaced my BB with an iPhone and it does sync with outlook. If I had to complain about anything after the switch it would be this, BB has a better mail handling system and I really miss the LED on the BB. With the iPhone you cant tell just by looking if you have a missed call or mail waiting for you and with the BB all you had to do was look at the flashing LED. Other than that I love the phone.

Agree. Outlook syncing via iTunes is easy. I sync my calendar, contacts, and notes. Don't have to sync email. It doesn't sync tasks, but I heard that's coming. Also nice feature that it syncs bookmarks with IE.

Had a BB for two years and only had my iPhone for a month. Everything works now. I'll never go back to a BB again.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

That's just what I hoped to hear. For me the Calender, contacts and email are the primary needs.

Be back with more questions after I get my new phone!!

I think BB is really more like a business phone than iPhone.

You think! No offense but that was and probably will always be RIM's marketing ploy. Although that was bb's rise to fame its days are numbered. I hear that the Playbook isn't getting the sale's as expected and although I hate to admit Apple will soon be the go to the device in the workplace.

As a longtime PC and Microsoft Outlook user, I have meticulously maintained CATEGORIES for Outlook Calendars and Contacts. Because the same list of CATEGORIES are used for both Contacts and Contacts, I can search for or list anything in Outlook calendars and contacts by a particular CATEGORY (without having to set up separate folders to represent each category).

Before my iPhone 4, I used a BlackBerry. The BlackBerry seamlessly synced with Outlook, including the Outlook categories. With CATEGORIES included in the synchronization, I was able to use my BlackBerry to view only those contacts or appointments that fell into a given CATEGORY. This was a big deal to me then, and it still is, given the way I categorize daily events and people in my life. I don't really think I am the only one who partitions their life as such.

It seems that with using iTunes, I would need to create separate folders in Outlook in place of Categories, and then copy my contacts to each of those folders in order to comply with the iPhone structure. And I would need to manually duplicate the process for the Outlook calendars to accomplish the same task as I do with Outlook, and formally with BlackBerry. This obviously is not an option for me, as I maintain many, many categories - some of which are cross-referenced.

As much as I have come to appreciate my iPhone for its more non-business applications, I have really missed not having this filtering capability that can be used across functions (i.e. contacts and calendar).

This would, of course, necessitate that the iPhone contacts file and calendar file be linked with the same new CATEGORY file (or table), just as the iPhone email, texting function and contact files are linked.

This doesn't seem to be to be a stretch, and based on some of the forum comments I have seen, would be a much appreciated improvement.

If I have set up a CATEGORY called "Victor," and want to search for any CALENDAR events, emails or Contacts for which I have assigned the category "Victor," I should be able to do an iPhone search on the category "Victor" to see all related entries.