What's new

iPhone 7: Making calls using Battery Cases and Lightning Headsets??? Please say it's so!

Doc_2017

Reaction score
My work requires me to be on the go, and on the phone with my headset, a lot throughout the day. With my current iPhone 5s this not a problem, since I can plug in the oe headset that comes the the phone, AND have it plugged into a power source or use a battery case.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, this is no longer possible with the iPhone 7 since the removal of the headphone jack. So what's a business person to do?? I DO NOT want to waste money on a BT headset, especially since I can't risk the battery on the headset dying in the middle of a call. So... My question is this:

Do most iPhone 7 Battery Cases allow you to plug in your lightning headset and talk on the phone, **while** using the case to charge the phone? ...Can you even use a lightning headset to make phone calls with a battery case??

So far all my research, including discussions with the fine people at apple tech support, says no!... PLEASE tell me they're wrong! ...There MUST be a way to keep a phone charged while making lots of calls using the headset. What about iPhone 7 battery cases *with* headphone ports??? Theoretically, I could still use my good old iPhone headset with the battery case to make calls, or are they audio out only plugs??

My 5s is at the end of it's life ever since I was forced to upgraded to ios 10, and I'm not about to waste money on a 6 with the 8 looming around the corner, only to be *forced* to upgrade again in another year. So it's either the 7 or... God forbid... Android! Which would REALLY suck since I have an iMac and iPad that I use for my work and I really like the integration.

What's a business professional on the go and on the phone to do??

Doc_2017

Last edited:
Some third party manufacturers make a splitter which, when plugged into the Lightning port, allows the connection of both a charger and a headset.

You can charge your phone using the battery case and use the headset but you can't plug the phone in to charge and use the headset without an adapter

Last edited:
Some third party manufacturers make a splitter which, when plugged into the Lightning port, allows the connection of both a charger and a headset.

I have gone through 3 of these adapters and each one worked for a little while then I would get a message saying it wasn't compatible with the iPhone. I have tried the different brands and happened with all three. I finally gave up

I have gone through 3 of these adapters and each one worked for a little while then I would get a message saying it wasn't compatible with the iPhone. I have tried the different brands and happened with all three. I finally gave up
Were the splitters you tried officially Apple certified? An officially certified accessory shouldn’t have stopped working like that.

No I didn't know there was even such a thing! I will have to look again. Thank you

No I didn't know there was even such a thing! I will have to look again. Thank you
Any third party accessories sold at an Apple Store will be certified. If shopping elsewhere, look for the Made for iPhone badge on the package.
IMG_3810.PNG