What's new

iPhone 5s’s camera is praised by National Geographic photographer

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
5s-main.png

We know that Apple always innovates the camera on its new iPhones, and this was the case with the iPhone 5s, as well. The iPhone 5s still uses an 8-megapixel camera, but it has a sensor that has a 15 percent larger surface area than on the iPhone 5. This translates into higher quality photos in low-light conditions. iPhone 5’s camera also comes with a 5-element lens with an aperture of f/2.2 and with larger pixels at 1.5 microns that are absorbing the light better. Also, the camera on the iPhone 5s has a 33 percent increase in light sensitivity.

It seems that all these camera improvements on the iPhone 5s were enough to make photographer Jim Richardson of National Geographic think of it as “very capable”. In a visit to Scotland’s historic region of the Scottish Highlands, he made about 4,000 pictures using only the iPhone 5s, which he decided to use instead of a very powerful Nikon machine. He said:

With intense use (I’ve made about 4,000 pictures in the last four days) I’ve discovered that the iPhone 5S is a very capable camera. The color and exposures are amazingly good, the HDR exposure feature does a stunningly good job in tough situations, the panorama feature is nothing short of amazing—seeing a panorama sweeping across the screen in real time is just intoxicating. Best of all it shoots square pictures natively, a real plus for me since I wanted to shoot for Instagram posting. Once I figured out what the camera could do well I began to forget all the things it couldn’t do at all.

The pictures from above are taken with mister Richardson’s iPhone 5s. You can follow the source link from below to see some more and let us know what you think about them. Do they impress you or you’d rather stick with a good ol’ SLR?

Source: NationalGeographic