What's new

iPhone 5S doesn't indicate when SIM card is removed

peterb101

Reaction score
My iPhone 5S running iSO 10.3.1 is not receiving phone reception in a location with good coverage. If I remove the SIM card it doesn't give a message that there is no SIM. So it doesn't appear to recognize whether the card is present or not. Also when I try to update to iSO 11 I get an error message "Unable to Install Update". Any ideas how to resolve?

My iPhone 5S running iSO 10.3.1 is not receiving phone reception in a location with good coverage. If I remove the SIM card it doesn't give a message that there is no SIM. So it doesn't appear to recognize whether the card is present or not. Also when I try to update to iSO 11 I get an error message "Unable to Install Update". Any ideas how to resolve?

After each of these steps, check to see if your issues are resolved before moving on to the next step:

First try a hard reset by holding the home & sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until phone turns off and Apple logo appears.

Next try resetting your network settings (this will require you to re-enter any saved WiFi passwords) Settings > General > Reset

Next try resetting all settings (you will not lose any data but this will require you to change all your phone settings back to the way you had them before resetting them. You’ll also have to re-enter any saved WiFi passwords) Settings > General > Reset

If you have another SIM card try it. If it works, your original SIM card has probably failed. If the replacement SIM card doesn't work, the SIM card reader in the iPhone may have failed. The Genius Bar at an Apple Store could then run a diagnostic to confirm this.

After each of these steps, check to see if your issues are resolved before moving on to the next step:

First try a hard reset by holding the home & sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until phone turns off and Apple logo appears.

Next try resetting your network settings (this will require you to re-enter any saved WiFi passwords) Settings > General > Reset

Next try resetting all settings (you will not lose any data but this will require you to change all your phone settings back to the way you had them before resetting them. You’ll also have to re-enter any saved WiFi passwords) Settings > General > Reset

Thanks, but unfortunately none of these have worked. I have tried to do a firmware reset (DFU) but it requires me to update the phone to iSO 11, which as noted previously the update fails when I try. Any further ideas?

If you have another SIM card try it. If it works, your original SIM card has probably failed. If the replacement SIM card doesn't work, the SIM card reader in the iPhone may have failed. The Genius Bar at an Apple Store could then run a diagnostic to confirm this.
Unfortunately I don't have another SIM that will fit, but considering that I don't get a message when the card is removed, it sounds like it might be the card reader. There is no Apple store near me, so I would have to send the phone away to have it assessed. Since it is an older phone the repair cost is likely to be more than the value of the phone. Is there any DIY way to check/repair this?

Thanks, but unfortunately none of these have worked. I have tried to do a firmware reset (DFU) but it requires me to update the phone to iSO 11, which as noted previously the update fails when I try. Any further ideas?

Did you try doing the update over the air through the phone settings before trying to update with iTunes?

Unfortunately I don't have another SIM that will fit, but considering that I don't get a message when the card is removed, it sounds like it might be the card reader. There is no Apple store near me, so I would have to send the phone away to have it assessed. Since it is an older phone the repair cost is likely to be more than the value of the phone. Is there any DIY way to check/repair this?
The DIY way to check is with another SIM card. If your carrier has a store nearby try asking them if you can insert one of their SIM cards in your phone to test the card reader. As to repair, this would be a board level repair and requires advanced micro-soldering skills. A mistake could ruin the logic board.
Are there any Apple certified independent repair centres in your area?
The update error would be because the SIM card or the card reader is defective as a working SIM card is required to activate an iPhone.
Does WiFi work?

The only way DFU mode would fail is if there's a hardware fault.

Last edited:
Does the phone show No SIM next to the wifi symbol?
IMG_1527950714.635394.jpg

This is a 5S running 10.3.3 with no SIM installed

Does the phone show No SIM next to the wifi symbol? View attachment 40792
I have an old iPhone 5 that i use as an iPod without a SIM card. If the iPhone is ever restored, it will not reactivate without a SIM card, which can be removed after activation and the iPhone used over WiFi.
IMG_0030.PNG

If the iPhone will not detect a SIM card, it can't be reactivated if it's ever restored.

Last edited:
Also, if it is locked to a carrier it has to be a SIM from that carrier

I have an old iPhone 5 that i use as an iPod without a SIM card. If the iPhone is ever restored, it will not reactivate without a SIM card, which can be removed after activation and the iPhone used over WiFi.
View attachment 40793
If the iPhone will not detect a SIM card, it can't be reactivated if it's ever restored.

That's how I do my old 5S and 6S Plus.

Did you try doing the update over the air through the phone settings before trying to update with iTunes?
Yes
Yes I tried that originally, and got the message that the update failed. I have since tried to update through iTunes on my MacBook and got a message that I had to first update the OS on the MacBook and update iTunes, which I did, but I keep getting that same message.

Yes

Yes I tried that originally, and got the message that the update failed. I have since tried to update through iTunes on my MacBook and got a message that I had to first update the OS on the MacBook and update iTunes, which I did, but I keep getting that same message.

Check under iPhone Storage (might say Storage & iCloud Usage for iOS 10) in Settings > General and see if you see iOS 11 in the list that populates and if it’s there, tap it and delete it. It’ll look something like this after you tap it:

IMG_1050.JPG

Sometimes the failed iOS update file gets stored on the phone and won’t let you update until you delete it. After deleting it (if it’s there), try updating again.

Does the phone show No SIM next to the wifi symbol? View attachment 40792
No it doesn't say 'No SIM' even when the SIM card is removed. I have decided that it is time for a new phone.
The DIY way to check is with another SIM card. If your carrier has a store nearby try asking them if you can insert one of their SIM cards in your phone to test the card reader. As to repair, this would be a board level repair and requires advanced micro-soldering skills. A mistake could ruin the logic board.
Are there any Apple certified independent repair centres in your area?
The update error would be because the SIM card or the card reader is defective as a working SIM card is required to activate an iPhone.
Does WiFi work?

The only way DFU mode would fail is if there's a hardware fault.
I tried a new SIM card at my carrier store and it still didn't recognize that there was a card (or in fact that there was no card). So I guess you are right that the card reader (or motherboard circuits related to the card reader are faulty). I think it is time for a new phone. Thanks for you help.

No it doesn't say 'No SIM' even when the SIM card is removed. I have decided that it is time for a new phone.

I tried a new SIM card at my carrier store and it still didn't recognize that there was a card (or in fact that there was no card). So I guess you are right that the card reader (or motherboard circuits related to the card reader are faulty). I think it is time for a new phone. Thanks for you help.
Thanks for letting us know. I hope you have no problems with your new iPhone.