What's new

iPhone 5s Camera Quality?

xMJRx

Reaction score
So, whats the camera like on the 5s compared to the 4s?

Ive currently got the 4s and its served me well, but could be better if I'm honest, I've been waiting until i can upgrade to the 5s in January, but before i do, i would like to know if theres any difference with the camera quality, zooming, options, ease of use, etc, I've found that the 4s camera is good as long as your NOT zooming in, but is slow to start up which can be annoying when theres something in the moment i want to snap, so I'm hoping something really good has been done to improve it, making the picture quality clearer and sharper in zoom mode, and more vibrant and colourful pictures would be amazing, the camera is very important to me so i hope they have managed to speed up the start up time and over all, improve it.

Any info on this would be golden, thanks!

If a camera is that important to you, get a DSLR. No startup time, and when you zoom, as long as you hold still, the photos will be relatively sharp. Zooming not only magnifies the subject, but also movement. The slightest movement will show and blur and as you increase the zoom, the movement increases. NO DIGITAL ZOOM will be as sharp as optical zoom. All phones use DIGITAL zoom.

90% of the sharpness issues with any camera come down to the person taking the photo. Hold still, get a tripod.

It's a phone that has a camera, not a camera that has a phone.

If a camera is that important to you, get a DSLR. No startup time, and when you zoom, as long as you hold still, the photos will be relatively sharp. Zooming not only magnifies the subject, but also movement. The slightest movement will show and blur and as you increase the zoom, the movement increases. NO DIGITAL ZOOM will be as sharp as optical zoom. All phones use DIGITAL zoom. 90% of the sharpness issues with any camera come down to the person taking the photo. Hold still, get a tripod. It's a phone that has a camera, not a camera that has a phone.

Thanks for replying but you didn't really answer my question?

If I wanted a camera on its own then yes I would obviously buy a DSLR, but I'm happy with the phone/camera combination, it's much handier than carrying a phone and camera separately, what I originally wanted to know is....is there a difference between the 4s and 5s camera quality?, have there been any improvements?

Read past the first two sentences. you will realize that the one thing you want - sharper zoom - wont happen because all camera phones use DIGITAL ZOOM.

Startup? no difference, still gonna take a fraction of a sec to swipe and let the app load and sensor power up. It isnt a DSLR.

He was asking about a comparison between a 4S and 5S. last I looked, my statement was correct.

Your comment did make it sound like you were referring to all camera phones, not just iPhones. :)

To the OP's question - yes it's improved. Image quality is better overall, especially with the flash. But the speed will be a pretty big improvement over the 4S.

He was asking about a comparison between a 4S and 5S. last I looked, my statement was correct.

Your statement was "all camera phones use DIGITAL ZOOM". If you only meant the 4S and 5S then your statement should have been "they use digital zoom". But since you didn't, there was no other interpretation possible since you used the term "all".

To the OP's question - yes it's improved. Image quality is better overall, especially with the flash. But the speed will be a pretty big improvement over the 4S.

Thank you for answering my question, I'm glad its living up to the hype, I thought it might, I'm looking forward to seeing the improved picture quality too, "bigger pixels means better picture quality" apparently, but I'm not sure thats entirely accurate so that will be interesting looking in to that, as will the new slow mo function, I'm really looking forward to playing around with that, but the camera startup speed was a real concern of mine so if it's had a big improvement since the 4s which I absolutely love then I'm sure I'll love the new model too, even more in fact, but i'm waiting until January to get mine, it's to expensive at the moment, especially with Christmas only around the corner so I wont personally know what it's like until then, so I appreciate any relevant info about it, I'm hoping I can get one free like I did with the 4s, under a 2 year contact around January, fingers crossed :)

Thanks again for the info :)

I'm looking forward to using the camera on the 5s when mine comes in. It's not the single most reason I bought it, but it's right up there. I currently have the 4 and it just plain sucks!

Thank you for posting that. I can actually confirm a lot of what is written there. The 5S is a much better camera than the 5 and that that is saying something considering I love the 5's camera.