What's new

iPhone 5C Expensive Mistake: 3 Million Collecting Dust in Inventory Warehouses

iPhone News

Reaction score
Apple may be the most successful company that has ever existed on the planet based upon a number of metrics, but that doesn’t mean their upper management are infallible. Sometimes you just make mistakes, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Even when those mistakes are very costly the best companies will learn and move on. […]

Read more...

I don't believe the 5C was a mistake, I believe it filled a niche.. though perhaps not as large a niche as Apple envisioned.

He may be right that Steve Jobs wouldn't have done it, but I think there are a lot of people who would take issue with his statement about "cheap-feeling plastic." My wife has a 5c and I've done a lot with it. It doesn't feel cheap in any way.

There will be 1 less 5C collecting dust later this month. I'm buying my wife one. Her Verizon upgrade is the 28th. She's been using a puny LG Enlighten for too long. It's time for her to have a real smartphone.

She's going to enjoy the benefits and feature of iOS :)

I looked at the iPhone 5c when it first came out and it certainly doesn't feel cheap, However i didn't see the need for it with 5s being released at the same time, It isn't that much cheaper than 5s

I looked at the iPhone 5c when it first came out and it certainly doesn't feel cheap, However i didn't see the need for it with 5s being released at the same time, It isn't that much cheaper than 5s.

You make a good point, perhaps Apple would have sold more of the 5C model if the price were lower.

I looked at the iPhone 5c when it first came out and it certainly doesn't feel cheap, However i didn't see the need for it with 5s being released at the same time, It isn't that much cheaper than 5s
The difference between $99.99 and $199.99 is a lot for some like me on a tight budget. As for my wife, she wouldn't care anything at all for the Touch ID. I'll probably get the 6 in February. If it has Touch ID, I doubt I'll use it. I'll try it for a while, but will most likely turn it off.

I think the issue is that the 5C doesn't have the same "sleek and sexy" feel to it as you see on the other devices. But as pointed out already, granted that it is colorful and it is plastic in the rear, you tend not to want a case on it as it makes it even bulkier. The one turn-off for it I would say would be that the notion of "plastic breaks easily" plants a stigma right off the bat. Considering not that many users have actually had their hands on an iPhone 3G or 3GS, and most have started on the 4/4S if not later, the plastic feels off compared to a more firm, solid, sleek appearance.

Truthfully, the chance of a glass rear chassis on say a 4S breaking from a drop is the same as that of the 5C if you drop it on the right angle. Samsung has been using a thick plastic polymer since the beginning of time and I've yet to see someone actually break their phone unless they purposefully or accidentally sat on it with their rear pocket, which will break or crack and phone for that matter. The intro of the 5C is a good change to the iPhone line-up, but the impact may take a while to kick in. The ultimate goal of the 5C was cost, which it fulfilled (for carrier discounted prices) to a certain extent, but because the full MSRP differs about $100 at all stages of the game, and the 5C is technically using older hardware, the 5S somewhat outshines the 5C with the fingerprint reader, new 64 bit processor and M7 motion processor as well. If Apple were to release the 5C with the 5, I would say the 5C would catch on fairly well and by transitioning out the 5, the 5C wouldn't be as alienated as it is at the moment. But that's just my opinion

Last edited:
I dropped my 4s on a hard floor, had a cheap case on at the time, thought this is the end of my phone, not a scratch on it.