What's new

iPhone 5 speaker volume low after spill

samclarke666

Reaction score
Hi all.

So, i stupidly spilled some sauce on my phone on Friday night, didn't think much of it at the time, wiped it all off and all was well. I noticed the next morning when i was watching a video that the sound was really low, even with the volume all the way up. I did a bit of Googling, and it looks like i could have tripped the liquid sensor? My only concern is, because it's more of a sauce type substance is that its stuck somewhere.

Has anyone got any ideas? This is my work phone but obviously it won't be covered under warranty!

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Sam

samclarke666 said:
Hi all.

So, i stupidly spilled some sauce on my phone on Friday night, didn't think much of it at the time, wiped it all off and all was well. I noticed the next morning when i was watching a video that the sound was really low, even with the volume all the way up. I did a bit of Googling, and it looks like i could have tripped the liquid sensor? My only concern is, because it's more of a sauce type substance is that its stuck somewhere.

Has anyone got any ideas? This is my work phone but obviously it won't be covered under warranty!

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Sam

Did you check to see if any of the sauce got into the speaker?
You are correct in that the normal warranty doesn't cover this type of damage. Did you get the AppleCare + with the phone? It covers up o 2 incidents of accidental damage over the life of the plan. You just pay a fee of $49.00 with each claim.

I don't think there's applecare on the policy. Do you know how much something like this would cost without?

The bottom speakers look visibly fine, the earpiece looks like it has a bit of gunk that i cant quite get to.

I can't work out where the sound comes from when watching videos/music, does it come from the speakers and the earpiece?

Thanks

samclarke666 said:
I don't think there's applecare on the policy. Do you know how much something like this would cost without?

The bottom speakers look visibly fine, the earpiece looks like it has a bit of gunk that i cant quite get to.

I can't work out where the sound comes from when watching videos/music, does it come from the speakers and the earpiece?

Thanks

Repair costs could be expected to be about half the cost of the new phone. The gunk in the earpiece can be cleaned out with a small sized Q-tip, be. Careful not to push the gunk further into the phone. The sound, when watching videos comes from the speaker on the bottom edge of the phone, it's the larger of the two grills. The smaller one is the microphone.

Ok, I will try cleaning the earpiece.

Is there a way to clean the speaker? As i said it looks fine, but i can't see inside it, perhaps a toothpick or something?

Does no sound come from the earpiece when listening to music at all then? When i play a song it sounds like there's a bit of sound coming through. Saying that, I received a phone call today and the sound was fine

samclarke666 said:
Ok, I will try cleaning the earpiece.

Is there a way to clean the speaker? As i said it looks fine, but i can't see inside it, perhaps a toothpick or something?

Does no sound come from the earpiece when listening to music at all then? When i play a song it sounds like there's a bit of sound coming through. Saying that, I received a phone call today and the sound was fine

If you have an Apple store nearby, make a Genius appointment. They'll be able to tell you exactly what's wrong.

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap. I have an iPhone 4S and I have a lifeproof case on it. Completely water proof (and sauceproof) and you can litterally swim with it. Its an amazing case and will soon be available for the iphone 5. Check it out at *** Removal of External Link per Forum Rules ***

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lifeproof cases are NOT waterproof. They are water resistant. And there is a huge difference between those two claims. Water proof requires 100 meters of depth with no water making it past the seals after 30 days. Lifeproof is only good to 2 meters and has a TIME LIMIT of 30 minutes before failure.

You would be better off getting an Otterbox Defender and having your phone treated with Liquipel, or equivalent, instead of relying on a Lifeproof case.

You would be better off getting an Otterbox Defender and having your phone treated with Liquipel, or equivalent, instead of relying on a Lifeproof case.
That's an awfully bold and opinionated comment, Mr. Skull. Very unlike you... :-D