What's new

iPhone 5 rear camera not working!!

Hannahbear11

Reaction score
Help! iPhone 5 camera not working, all I get is a black screen! how can i fix this? I am on iOS 7.1 any advice will be appreciated! Thank you

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

Try resetting your iPhone: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let the iPhone power up on it's own. This kind of reset won't remove data or change settings, maybe it'll help with your camera.

If the reset doesn't help, try updating your device. The latest software for the iPhone 5 is 9.1. Before you update your iPhone, make sure there's a recent backup, then connect it to iTunes (computer) to get it up to date.

What you're experiencing might as well be a hardware problem. If that's the case, resetting and restoring won't help. If possible, visit the next Apple Store and let them take a look at your iPhone.

Hello Thank you!!

Ive tried resetting my phone using the power and home buttons, that didnt work. Ive also tried resetting all settings and that didnt work either it was working fine earlier!

Will iOS9.1 work ok on my phone? I know a lot of people have had trouble with it lately, just dubious, i kinda rely on my phone...more than my iPad.

iOS 9.1 will work on your iPhone. The software will need some time to settle in, though. One or two days should do. Additionally, reset your iPhone after updating, using Home and Power button. That will help with a few glitches you might experience otherwise.

What do you mean by, it'll need time to settle in? could i also try 'reset' and 'erase all content and settings'?

"Settle in" means that your iPhone needs time for indexing after installing the software, so it could look a bit buggy at first, directly after installing.

Resetting and erasing won't help with your problem.
Also, erasing won't update your iPhone.

As you're on iOS 7x, I'd recommend using iTunes on your computer to get this done. After all, you skip iOS 8 and go directly to 9.1.

Okie dokie thank you ill try upgrading :) then once I've upgraded I'm supposed to reset again by holding both buttons?

Ok thank you :) Im still dubious but i guess it has to be done hehe

Do I need space on my laptop to download it? Or do i need space on my phone? (Because i have practically none on my phone haha!)

Sorry to hear that.
If there's an Apple Retail Store next to you, take your device there, let them have a look at your iPhone.

Hmm its not near, but i can maybe get there next month :( At least my phones updated now though hehe