What's new

iphone 5 overheating on window mount

slbrooks

Reaction score
Today I used GPS on my iphone for the first time using the same window mount that I used for my old phone (evo). My gps turned off and I got a message that my phone needed to cool down. I took it off the mount, removed the case and it was indeed very hot. I held it in front of the vent for a couple of minutes, left the case off and then attached it again. ~15 minutes later it overheated again, and then once more on the way back from my destination. Is anyone else having this problem? I am in Austin, and its hot (~90-95 degrees out) but I never had this problem with my old phone.

The other iPhones had a different back then this one. This one is aluminum, probably why it's heating up more.

The fix may be moving it to another area off the windshield. Yes, i know that's obvious but I'll bet it's not a unique problem. Just sort of makes sense.

Idk if this applies but on my 4S I have that problem all the time. But for me it's cause the sun keeps hitting the phone since its black it sucks in all the heat or energy (how ever you want to look at it)

Is your phone the black one and is your case a dark color case?

Try if yes try a light color case. I got a white one and fixed the problem.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

I personally would not use the iPhone as a GPS next to the window. You asking for trouble as yes it will over heat . Just buy a proper GPS instead. The other factor is using the iPhone regardless of models as a GPS drains the battery

I personally would not use the iPhone as a GPS next to the window. You asking for trouble as yes it will over heat . Just buy a proper GPS instead. The other factor is using the iPhone regardless of models as a GPS drains the battery

I agree with you about the light and heat but does anybody use their phone as a GPS without hooking it up to a charger? I wouldn't even think about it.

I hate using window mounts. I use my 4S with a Navigon app and other GPS devices while they laying on the passenger's seat or on the center console with no signal problems. That way they are out of the sun. When the app or other device first boots up I hold the phone or device up to a window for a few seconds until it grabs a couple of satelites. I don't need to look at or watch the device as I only listen to the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

I think its silly to suggest that I not use my phone for gps. I've been using phone for gps for years and never had a problem (until now), even in the Texas heat. We regularly have temps above 100 in the summer here. I have a smartphone in part so that I don't need a bunch of other devices. I plan to buy a vent mount today as I've heard that keeps your phone cooler than a window mount. Hopefully that will solve the problem, I don't want to have to return my phone.