What's new

iPhone 5 Hotspot AT&T

Tate8

Reaction score
After enabling my hotspot and connecting my ipad via wifi it works fine until the iPad "sleeps". It then loses the connection. But when I search again for wireless networks my iphone does not show up until I turn off the hotspot and turn it back on again.

Whenever I try to connect a device to the hotspot I have to turn it if and turn it back on. I can't just leave the hotspot active at all times and connect whenever I would like to.

Is this a setting that I am missing?

I would love to be able to leave my hotspot on at all times and use it just like wifi instead of having to get my phone out and go into settings every time.

Any ideas?

Tate8 said:
After enabling my hotspot and connecting my ipad via wifi it works fine until the iPad "sleeps". It then loses the connection. But when I search again for wireless networks my iphone does not show up until I turn off the hotspot and turn it back on again.

Whenever I try to connect a device to the hotspot I have to turn it if and turn it back on. I can't just leave the hotspot active at all times and connect whenever I would like to.

Is this a setting that I am missing?

I would love to be able to leave my hotspot on at all times and use it just like wifi instead of having to get my phone out and go into settings every time.

Any ideas?

There's nothing wrong, that's the way it's supposed to work. Generating a WiFi hotspot is a battery hog and will drain your battery in short order if left on continuously. That's why the hotspot ceases when the iPad goes to sleep, it's a battery saving feature.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Well that kinda stinks... I usually move around on the field, but when I need it, I need it active. Maybe they'll come up with a way to give us the option of leaving it active.

Well that kinda stinks... I usually move around on the field, but when I need it, I need it active. Maybe they'll come up with a way to give us the option of leaving it active.

It can be turned on again in seconds. All you have to do is cycle the switch from on to off and back to on.

Ya, but it takes up to a minute for my iPad to find it again. This can be unsafe in my line of work. I need the hotspot to be active when I find a problem on the airfield. I might have a plane bearing down on me and have to make a quick entry and then move on.