What's new

Cannot connect to personal hotspot from windows xp laptop

rmyarri

Reaction score
I am having trouble connecting to my iPhone 5 personal hotspot from my windows Xp laptop. The laptop is updated,has service pack 3, and the wireless driver is current. I can connect to the hot spot with my iPad and my wireless hp printer. When I try with my laptop, it shows the hotspot as an available wireless network, and appears to be trying to connect. It then reverts back to showing the availability of the iPhone, but didn't connect. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I've had better luck connecting to the hot spot on my laptop by using the USB instead of the WiFi. It just seems like with my laptop that the wifi is... Unstable. Constantly dropping in and out. But with the USB it is fine.

I've had better luck connecting to the hot spot on my laptop by using the USB instead of the WiFi. It just seems like with my laptop that the wifi is... Unstable. Constantly dropping in and out. But with the USB it is fine.

Maybe the WiFi antenna on your laptop isn't able to pick up the WiFi signal from your hotspot properly.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Maybe the WiFi antenna on your laptop isn't able to pick up the WiFi signal from your hotspot properly.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

That is possible. I've never had a problem with any other wifi signal with my laptop but who knows.

Either way it doesn't bother me. I just use the USB when I want to tether to the laptop while out.

The WiFi signal transmitted by your phone is not as strong as the WiFi signal from a normal WiFi router. This may explain why your laptop can pick up other WiFi signals, but not the one from the hotspot on your phone.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator