What's new

iPhone 5 headphone jack not working

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
Something has gotten stuck in the headphone jack of my iPhone and I don't know how it got there or how to get it out. I tried to put my headphone end in and couldn't get it in. Maybe I left my phone laying around and someone put something in there. Will the guys at the Apple Store be able to get it out for me?

Assuming there's actually something in there and not that the jack of your headphones are too long, then they'll see whether or not it's doable. If not, they'll give you a replacement phone. To be on the safe side, before heading to the Genius Bar, backup your phone in the case that they'll give you a replacement. Use a maglite if you have and check to see if there really is something inside the jack.

I know there is something in there. I tried to insert the end and it met an obstruction. I'm sure it pushed whatever it is further inside. I can see something in there now. It never occurred to me to look inside before trying to use the jack.

See if compressed air helps to get it out.

I can try that but don't see how compressed air blown into a tiny hole will force an object out in the opposite direction to the air flow.

Assuming there're still air pockets around the object inside, and with only 1 way in or out of the jack, the compressed air will fill up the jack, and because it's propelled to the bottom, it'll fill the air pockets and push the object back out.