What's new

iPhone 4S vs iPhone 4 on iOS 5 untethered jailbreak ?

I'm getting kinda frustrated and confused with iOS 5's untethered jailbreak. At first all the news articles were about how the hackers already had the iOS 5 untethered jailbreak covered and wee just waiting on who knows what to release it. Now everything is worded in a skeptical way as if the untethered jailbreak may not be possible...anybody know?

An untethered jailbreak is definitely possible and actively being worked on. The news was never that someone had already created an untethered jailbreak. The devs didn't even start working on the jailbreak until iOS5 was released publicly, it would have been pointless since Apple could have patched some of the exploits they had found.

The news that was reveled by the Chronic-dev team at JailbrekCon was that they had discovered 5 userland exploits in the iOS5 firmware which could be used for an untethered jailbreak. Nobody knows how far along they are yet.

An untethered jailbreak is definitely possible and actively being worked on. The news was never that someone had already created an untethered jailbreak. The devs didn't even start working on the jailbreak until iOS5 was released publicly, it would have been pointless since Apple could have patched some of the exploits they had found.

The news that was reveled by the Chronic-dev team at JailbrekCon was that they had discovered 5 userland exploits in the iOS5 firmware which could be used for an untethered jailbreak. Nobody knows how far along they are yet.
Well there was one of those guys who posted on twitter that they already had the untethered jailbreak "covered" which I took to mean that they had it done and were just waiting for the public release so that it couldn't be patched like you said. But how long do these thngs usually take to come out or how much longer do we suspect it will be? Days, weeks, months...? not looking for a solid date, just a realistic estimate.

And when you say "userland exploits", from my previous readings, that means that it will work like jailbreakme.com right? Where you just go to it from your safari browswer on your phone and download it?

By "covered" i0n1c meant that there are people working on it, don't read too far into their tweets. I would say we are still weeks away from a release.

No, that is not what userland means, userland means that the exploit is contained within the firmware itself, not in the bootrom. This means that all Apple has to do to patch it is to release a new firmware update, whereas bootrom exploits cannot be patched because the exploit exists in the hardware, not the software (limera1n is a bootrom exploit, that is why as soon as iOS5 was released there was already a tethered jailbreak for it since the limera1n exploit cannot be patched so A4 devices will ALWAYS have at least a tethered jailbreak available for every new firmware that is released).

JailbreakMe was just one kind of userland exploit but it is dependent on a PDF exploit to work(which the only 2 known PDF exploits have already been patched). Since Comex(the developer of JailbreakMe) now works for Apple, it is pretty safe to say that we won't see another jailbreak like that for a long time, if ever.

Last edited:
Jmills87 said:
By "covered" i0n1c meant that there are people working on it, don't read too far into their tweets. I would say we are still weeks away from a release.

No, that is not what userland means, userland means that the exploit is contained within the firmware itself, not in the bootrom. This means that all Apple has to do to patch it is to release a new firmware update, whereas bootrom exploits cannot be patched because the exploit exists in the hardware, not the software (limera1n is a bootrom exploit, that is why as soon as iOS5 was released there was already a tethered jailbreak for it since the limera1n exploit cannot be patched so A4 devices will ALWAYS have at least a tethered jailbreak available for every new firmware that is released).

JailbreakMe was just one kind of userland exploit but it is dependent on a PDF exploit to work(which the only 2 known PDF exploits have already been patched). Since Comex(the developer of JailbreakMe) now works for Apple, it is pretty safe to say that we won't see another jailbreak like that for a long time, if ever.
Well if it's not out by thanksgiving then I don't know what I'm gonna do. iOS 5 was a bust as far as I'm concerned. I had to get a new phone from apple the day before it was released, and it came with 4.2.10, so I figured I may as well update when it came out. Well I started watching all the videos about it and I got pretty pumped. Then after updating, it's pretty freakin lame. I want my jailbreak features back so bad!

I'm considering doing the semi-tethered jailbreak, but of I do the redsnow tethered jailbreak, will I have to completely load all my music and apps back onto my phone or will it not erase all that stuff?

I'm considering doing the semi-tethered jailbreak, but of I do the redsnow tethered jailbreak, will I have to completely load all my music and apps back onto my phone or will it not erase all that stuff?

Jailbreaking does not remove anything, also most of the popular Cydia packages work on iOS5 now, but Winterboard themes are still mostly incompatible.

Jmills87 said:
Jailbreaking does not remove anything, also most of the popular Cydia packages work on iOS5 now, but Winterboard themes are still mostly incompatible.
Well you have to download iOS 5 and install it on your phone as part of the process so I didn't know if it was like restoring your phone.

Oh, I figured you were on iOS5 already. Yes, if you restore iOS5 it will erase everything.
I do, but it still makes you download and manually select the IPSW. But I did it this morning and it didn't restore anything. I don't know if I'm going to like it though. It's had a few hiccups so far.

Untethered kinda sucks... I'm goin on a cruise in nov and I'm going to have to go back to normal. I wish untethered came out like yesterday.
To much hype to early on it.

codysanborn said:
Untethered kinda sucks... I'm goin on a cruise in nov and I'm going to have to go back to normal. I wish untethered came out like yesterday.
To much hype to early on it.

You mean tethered.