What's new

iPhone 4S sees wifi signal but won't connect unless very close to router

Sid.harris

Reaction score
Hi all new to this forum but have had an iPhone for a few years. My current model the 4s has been ace but recently I have had wifi problems.
My phone sees the wifi signal of networks I have access to and public ones and they have strong signals But unless I am in the same room or directly close to the router I cannot connect I get a message saying unable to connect to network followed by the name of the network I am trying to join. I have had the wifi areal changed and another aerial I have reset the phone switched on and off. I still am having the same problem. This is getting very frustrating. Please. Help thanks.

I have wifi with Comcast. The modem I rent from them has a range of about 25 feet. After that it drops dramatically. In the room with the modem, I get 30Mbps on download. 35 feet away in another room, I get 8Mbps. I was getting 1Mbps, but discovered that metal can disrupt the signal. There was a big 26 cu. ft. fridge in the signals path. I pulled it out a few feet and I went from 1Mbps to between 8 and 12Mbps.

Have you tried resetting the router? This has been known to help in some cases.