What's new

iPhone 4S not taking any charge

Derp Derpinson

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently dropped my iPhone in water, and the logic board is fried. It is not activated, I use it as an iPod. (don't judge) I bought a used logic board off eBay, and bought a used logic board, stating that it didn't hold any charge. I thought to myself, this must be a battery problem, and I am pretty experienced in fixing iPhones. When I got the logic board, and installed it, I hooked it up and let it charge. The sound came, it vibrated, and everything worked. All features and functions work, Camera, Calling, (called 911, picked it up, and briefly explained it was a test call, not a smart move) and Siri. Everything works as if it was a new iPhone, but it wouldn't take in charge. It made the sound, vibrated twice, and had the charging icon next to the battery. The Battery percentage wouldn't go up, and when it reaches 0 percent, it shuts off unless plugged in. I could use it on 0 percent when plugged it, but when I unplugged it, it shuts off. It acts as if charging, but doesn't charge. It can't be the docking port, because it works when plugged in. It can't be the connection from the charger to the docking port, because I tested this logic board in my friend's iPhone 4S, and the same problem occurred. I will be selling this logic board as a last resort, but until then, I want to fix it and try all solutions. If someone replies a solution related to soldering, I have never soldered/unsoldered anything so delicate in my life. I tried soldering a wire to a point in a circuit board before, but the board caught fire when power reached it. I don't want the same thing to happen again. Sorry for the long read. :)

Based on your description it sounds like there may be a problem with the charging circuitry on the logic board. You may possibly have to get a new logic board to solve your problem.

Alright, thanks. If there is no other way to fix this problem, I will buy another logic board. Wish me luck!
just to make sure about the logic board, you could take the assembled iPhone to an independent repair shop and have a diagnostic done. This will pinpoint any hardware issues. You have to use an independent repair shop because neither Apple or Apple certified repair shops will service your iPhone because you attempted the repair yourself.

just to make sure about the logic board, you could take the assembled iPhone to an independent repair shop and have a diagnostic done. This will pinpoint any hardware issues. You have to use an independent repair shop because neither Apple or Apple certified repair shops will service your iPhone because you attempted the repair yourself.

The diagnostics were 55 dollars, at CPR Cell Phone Repair, and there ins't another repair shop close to me. I will have to sell the logic board, Thanks for your help. This topic is solved.