What's new

iPhone 4S - best practive when hotspotting

choPppps

Reaction score
Hi

I have an iPad 2, wifi only, and would like to use my iPhone 4s as a hotspot. Right now, if I turn on hotspot and select to turn on wifi, the iPad rarely sees my iPhone or my wife's iPhone. If I leave the wifi on, then turn on the hotspot, this process does seam to work much better. Anyone know if there is a best practive for this, or should it work perfectly either way?

Doesnt work or me. Amazing how millions of wifi devices work perfectly, but my 4S is useless as a hotspot for my ipad. Doesn't Apple test these things before they send them out to customers?

My 4s works great with my Samsung 10.1 and my kids iPod touches. Immediate wifi connectivity.

Sent from my i4s

Doesnt work or me. Amazing how millions of wifi devices work perfectly, but my 4S is useless as a hotspot for my ipad. Doesn't Apple test these things before they send them out to customers?

My kids kids LOVE hooking up their iPods to my 4s hotspot in the car. Works perfect every time.

You do realize you need to be in the "discover" screen for the other devices to detect it?

My kids kids LOVE hooking up their iPods to my 4s hotspot in the car. Works perfect every time.

You do realize you need to be in the "discover" screen for the other devices to detect it?
Tell me you're kidding!! You have to set your iPhone to a certain screen before it can even be seen by the other devices??? What a stupid design. How unlike a Wi-Fi hotspot that is. :-/

Huh? Never had to do this. I have people connected to my personal hot spot early every night. Never had to do anything but turn it on and ignore it...

Huh? Never had to do this. I have people connected to my personal hot spot early every night. Never had to do anything but turn it on and ignore it...
oh thank goodness!! I knew that couldn't be right; that you had to be open to a certain page of the iPhone for the hotspot to be detectable. That just didn't sound right to me.

All this time I've had personal hotspot on my phone and thought I needed to be connected to a pc or Bluetooth to route my wifi. After reading this thread I don't. I've just tried it and it turns my wifi off to 3G and then the iPad finds my phone and is now connected. 😄 having unlimited data on my phone I'm loving this idea. Means I can take my wifi only iPad out with me if needed to watch the sports channel. Thanks thread and forum.

iHolophyte

On my 4S, other devices can't "see" the network unless I'm on the discover screen. Once they are hooked up, I can do whatever I want. But after I leave that screen the network becomes invisible to any new users. It worked the same way on my iPhone 4 too.

Anyone else have the same experience?

r0.png

Join Date Jan 2012
Posts 7
Member # 52990

I've discovered that I can connect with my Ipad by keeping the discover screen open while I connect (quickly), and strangely, works with my kindle. However no success with laptop or desktop. They can see the hotspot signal but unable to connect. It has to be something strange with the iphone wifi signal. I've used all sorts of wifi modems, plus portable wifi hotspots and never had trouble before this. I even had a jailbreak 3GS with a third party hotspot installed. that worked perfectly. I guess I will have to wait for the IOS update to see if Apple fix it.

All this time I've had personal hotspot on my phone and thought I needed to be connected to a pc or Bluetooth to route my wifi. After reading this thread I don't. I've just tried it and it turns my wifi off to 3G and then the iPad finds my phone and is now connected. 😄 having unlimited data on my phone I'm loving this idea. Means I can take my wifi only iPad out with me if needed to watch the sports channel. Thanks thread and forum.

iHolophyte

Which carrier are you with? AT&T doesn't allow personal hotspot to work with those of us on unlimited data plans. You have to convert to the 4GB data plan. SOOO BOGUS!!