What's new

iPhone 4g water damage. Weird problems... help?

niftyg

Reaction score
Long story short I managed to get a really cheap iphone 4 taht was dropped in water for a split second. I Found that if I unplug the middle little ribbon connector (hold button connector) it starts up and runs just fine, but won't start if I plug it in. If I plug it in while the iphone was powerd on and I press the hold button the screen dims and it freezes. It unfreezes and goes to power down screen if I unplug it and restarts if I don't.

What is the most liekly cause of this problem?

A short in the mainboard or a short somewhere else?

Any advice is apprciated as I want to try to DIY fix this.

Thanks!!

niftyg said:
Long story short I managed to get a really cheap iphone 4 taht was dropped in water for a split second. I Found that if I unplug the middle little ribbon connector (hold button connector) it starts up and runs just fine, but won't start if I plug it in. If I plug it in while the iphone was powerd on and I press the hold button the screen dims and it freezes. It unfreezes and goes to power down screen if I unplug it and restarts if I don't.

What is the most liekly cause of this problem?

A short in the mainboard or a short somewhere else?

Any advice is apprciated as I want to try to DIY fix this.

Thanks!!

Wow...that's a bummer man...I have no idea by the way...but I would try to watch a video in ifixit.com for water damage or something. Perhaps they will pony out what feat shorted with water damage.

Perhaps it's not one or the other...perhaps it's both.