What's new

iPhone 4 & Wireless G

I have Netgear n router with Road Runner internet. My wifi download speed on my I phone 4 is 14GBS and ping of 114 and upload of 704 KBS

That's a really difficult question to answer. It depends on what you mean by "boost" your signal. Since there isn't an "official" 802.11n specification yet, the proposed specification will almost double the indoor range of the wireless portion. What this router will actually do is a gamble, depending on the layout of your home and anything that may cause interference, etc. Keep in mind that this is just for the connection between your iPhone or laptop and the router. What speed the router is training up at with your ISP, may be where your slowdown is. For example, your iPhone or laptop may say it is connected at 54Mbps but if your router is only trained at 8Mbps your only going to go at the slowest connection. If you're looking to get farther away from the router, then the new router may help.

I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, run some speed tests to the internet and see what kind of speed you are actually running at. Try it from different places around the house. Then decide if you really need the new router.

Hope that answers your question. If not give me some more details and I'll try again.

RJ

That's a really difficult question to answer. It depends on what you mean by "boost" your signal. Since there isn't an "official" 802.11n specification yet, the proposed specification will almost double the indoor range of the wireless portion. What this router will actually do is a gamble, depending on the layout of your home and anything that may cause interference, etc. Keep in mind that this is just for the connection between your iPhone or laptop and the router. What speed the router is training up at with your ISP, may be where your slowdown is. For example, your iPhone or laptop may say it is connected at 54Mbps but if your router is only trained at 8Mbps your only going to go at the slowest connection. If you're looking to get farther away from the router, then the new router may help.

I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, run some speed tests to the internet and see what kind of speed you are actually running at. Try it from different places around the house. Then decide if you really need the new router.

Hope that answers your question. If not give me some more details and I'll try again.

RJ
I just want to go another 5 metres further with the iPhone WiFi, laptop is ok strange enough but not iPhone

How big is your house? Lol. I can go across the street to my neighbours house and still pick up my wifi...

IMG_0004.png

Last edited:
Another five metres? Yes then a g would probably get you that. How far away are you from the router when you lose signal?

RJ