What's new

iPhone 4 restore problems

pabstsmeared

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I've read several threads on this site and other sites about restoring/upgrading my iPhone4 to 6.1.2 but I am still having issues getting my phone restored. I would greatly appreciate some help from anyone willing to offer. If this is not the proper place for my questions, please kindly point me to the proper location.

Background:
Iphone 4
Current Version: 6.1 (10B144)
Carrier: AT&T 14.0
Model: MC536LL/A
Modem Firmware: 04.12.05

--Cydia has stored and I have fetched..
iPhone3,1 (xxxxx number) remote blobs:
6.1.2, 6.1, 6.0.1,

--I used redsn0w 0.9.15b3 to stitch the locally saved 6.1.2 shsh files. I used the downloaded ipsw: iPhone3,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

--I have edited my host file several different ways - with and without commenting out the different IP gs.apple.com addresses. Currently I have the file set to:
#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

--Used TinyUmbrella-6.12.00 to start TSS server

--I then place my phone in PWNed DFU mode and alt/option + restore iphone in iTunes (11.0.2). At this point itunes begins the restore process but always stalls then ends in the error message:
"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1601)."

note: I have tried leaving the Redsn0w both running and shut down after placing the phone in PWNed DFU mode.

--If I attempt a similar process without placing the phone in DFU mode 1st (alt/option + restore iphone in iTunes (11.0.2)), I get this result:
"The iPhone "(name) iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (11)." After this process, the iphone has the image on the screen where a usb cable points at the itunes icon.

I feel like I am missing/overlooking something simple. Again, I would greatly appreciate some help from anyone willing to offer. Thanks in advance!

If the iOS 6 blobs that you've retrieved are the ones that Cydia automatically stores, they don't have valid APTickets, so they're basically useless and won't help you to restore to a custom IPSW. Unless the blobs were saved manually using iSHSHit, RedSn0w, TinyUmbrella, iFaith, etc etc THEN stored on Cydia, your blobs are basically just there for show.

If the iOS 6 blobs that you've retrieved are the ones that Cydia automatically stores, they don't have valid APTickets, so they're basically useless and won't help you to restore to a custom IPSW. Unless the blobs were saved manually using iSHSHit, RedSn0w, TinyUmbrella, iFaith, etc etc THEN stored on Cydia, your blobs are basically just there for show.
I used TinyUmbrella to pull the blobs from cydia. So those are no good?

Thanks for your response!

They have to be pulled from Apple first, then hosted onto Cydia. If you didn't manually save them then host them, they're disfunctional blobs.

that's a bummer :(

is there anyway to fully wipe out my current iP4 without 'breaking' the jailbreak? I don't mind staying at 6.1 - I would just like to wipe out everything before giving the phone to my wife. Thanks again for your knowledge

Unfortunately no. Evasi0n blocks the reset all feature in Settings as well as OTA updates, and must be DFU restored to have the device clean again.

If your wife wants to keep it jailbroken and knows what she's doing, just remove the tweaks you've installed down to the barebones that come with jailbreaking. Otherwise, uninstall down to the barebones, then remove Cydia using MobileTerminal or PuTTy