What's new

iPhone stuck in recovery mode after 4.3.3 restore

8ardock

Reaction score
Hi guys. Its been 4 days now since im dealing with this.
my iphone 4 is jailbreaked with greenpois0n firmware 4.1. my baseband is 04.10.01 so y was waiting patiently for an unlock until i get a gevey sim card, wich worked well here in my country. The gevey card solved my baseband problem so i dont need to be in 4.1 specially jailbreaked, so i decided to clean greenpois0n by restoring my phone to the actual version: 4.3.3, i went to itunes and clicked RESTORE, after some bar progress itunes told me "this device isn't eligible for the requested build iOS4.3.3" then my phone resets and went to recovery mode. until TODAY. Everytime i try to restore now it tells me unkow error 14 o 9.
Here is a list of what ive done with no succes:
DFU mode then shift click then selected stock ipsw 4.3.3 = error 14
Clean HOST file gs.apple.com = error 14
Change usb cable= error 9, sometimes 14
Change usb port = error 9, sometime error 14
Change computer (4 diferent computer, x2 mac x2 pcs) = error 14, error 9
Re download diferent ipsw = error 9
use Pwned tool to put phone in dfu and then create and restore a custom ipsw = error 9 - 14
Make recovery fix with tinyumbrella = iphone freezes with Green poison code lines, the resets after a lot of code scrolling and then back to recovery mode.

I dont need to preserb my baseband, i just want my iphone to be restored no matter to what version.
First i though this can be hardware issue, but thats impossible cuz my phone was perfect till i restore that DAMM 4.3.3, now im stock in recovery mode forever: cable+arrow+itunes icon.
Please any help will be greatly appreciated :(

Last edited:
Try redsn0w (on a mac without it having TinyUmbrella installed on it) this did the trick for me

yep, same thing: ERROR 9 or ERROR 14. i think apple some how remotely bricked iphones restored from jb firmwares to stock 4.3.3 firmwares. :(

Did as the guide says. Same thing, error 14.
i used snowbreeze to create a custom 4.2.1 then open iREB to dfu an pwn the phone. in itunes shift click and select de custom ipsw 4.2.1.

Have you tried a different USB cable or port or even a different computer?

There is always a way out,

Try turning off any anti virus software or firewalls when restoring. It can also help to plug your computer directly into your wifi router...

im on mac right now, im using a hub powered usb adapter, trying different ports, hoping one of them dont show me error 14. Ill let you know.

no luck. Always the same error 14. I´ve testes with 3 different usb cables.

So you've got all the latest versions of software. Windows, iTunes, tinyumbrella, snowbreeze, redsnow? Have you tried jailbreaking with redsnow again? In tinyumbrella go to the advance tab and uncheck the 'set hosts to cydia on exit' box. Restart your computer and try kicking out of recovery a few times...

3 pcs same procedure, same error: 14, if i tried more, sometimes give error 9.

3 pcs same procedure, same error: 14, if i tried more, sometimes give error 9.

iOS image is failing a check sum verification, it had been cor rupted during the download.

Un-dock and shut down the iDevice (Note: You will not see the ‘Red’ power down slider in this state)
Shut down iTunes
Delete the previously downloaded soft ware update file which you will find in these loca tion depend ing on your system:
Mac Loca tion: /users/<user name>/Library/iTunes/iPad Soft ware Updates
PC Loca tion: \Doc u ments and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Soft ware Updates
&lsquo;Empty Trash&rsquo; to be on the safe side.
Restart iTunes
Dock iDevice
Follow the prompts to have iTunes down load the OS upgrade again
Once down loaded iTunes should auto matically upgrade the iDevice with the new OS and bring it out of restore mode.
This will restore the iDevice to factory settings
Once the factory restore is complete iTunes will let you further restore the iDevice from the most recent backup of the device before it encountered the prob lems. This should recover your apps, data and user settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been going some reading up on error code 9 and 14. Both are related to the USB. 9 is from the computer end and 14 is the USB cable.

Have you tried every cable with every computer? Are they official apple cables? Have you been able to restore any other iPhones on those computers whith those cables...?