What's new

iPhone 4 or 5/Unlimited Data Plan situation.

We are going with ATT, only because the phone will be our only phone and since we are dropping Verizon air card, the I Phone will be a hot spot with the 4GB package and if we get a call, the hot spot will stay hot. With Verizon, get a call, goes to phone and have to re-establish hot spot.

Jim

Not so. We are with T Mobile. We got in on 1000 minutes for $39.00. We have had this plan for 5 years. 2 1/2 years ago we were eligible for a upgrade phone, We went in, got a new phone for free, and have the same phone plan. As long as you do not change the plan, you are grandfathered in.
Please dont take offense sir but thats T-Mobile. Verizon may work differently.

I seem to recall hearing about this and going to a Verizon rep about it. They told me that when I am eligible for upgrade July 20th, despite my unlimited plan on my phone now, I WILL NOT be grandfathered in. I will have this new plan but dont sweat it because I dont use that much data a month anyway. Thing is, I wanted to try to use streaming radio again. I figure with an iPhone Id have better battery life and could use such a thing or even play online games a little longer without worrying about my phone dying. I know thatll use data so Im worried. Im trying to upgrade before the 6th, hoping that may keep my unlimited plan but Im not so sure and when I went to the store to ask no one was able to answer my question. Everyone was busy and I didnt have time to sign in and wait just to ask this question, I had to get to work.

Not so. We are with T Mobile. We got in on 1000 minutes for $39.00. We have had this plan for 5 years. 2 1/2 years ago we were eligible for a upgrade phone, We went in, got a new phone for free, and have the same phone plan. As long as you do not change the plan, you are grandfathered in.
Please dont take offense sir but thats T-Mobile. Verizon may work differently.

I seem to recall hearing about this and going to a Verizon rep about it. They told me that when I am eligible for upgrade July 20th, despite my unlimited plan on my phone now, I WILL NOT be grandfathered in. I will have this new plan but dont sweat it because I dont use that much data a month anyway. Thing is, I wanted to try to use streaming radio again. I figure with an iPhone Id have better battery life and could use such a thing or even play online games a little longer without worrying about my phone dying. I know thatll use data so Im worried. Im trying to upgrade before the 6th, hoping that may keep my unlimited plan but Im not so sure and when I went to the store to ask no one was able to answer my question. Everyone was busy and I didnt have time to sign in and wait just to ask this question, I had to get to work.

I've had cell phones since 1985, yes 1985. Back then they were in a suitcase. Every plan I have had, once the contract was over I was a month to month customer. I have up-graded phones and stayed on the same plan. I have been with several carriers. Once you get with who ever, you WILL be grandfathered. Most of the reps know nothing except the current months sales promotions.

Jim

Well I hope thats the case. Itd really suck for me because I cant upgrade until the 20th and this whole new plan kicks into effect on the 7th. So the way it looks when I do upgrade and Ill lose my unlimited data. Thats almost a kick in the teeth. I guess I wont find out until the 20th when I try to upgrade. Or I could try to do it now and pay the extra $20.

Is it the 7th when this new plan goes into effect? Im not sure.

Last edited:
My bet is, if you are not changing equipment that "requires" a different plan, IE: if you have a phone that has a voice, data, your new phone requires voice, data, you will not be required to get a new plan. IF you are getting the $50 customer loyalty deal, you will be getting a new 2 year contract, but it should be the same plan.

I'd go in and ask for the manager, not some sales rep. What have you got to loose.

I am not sticking with T Mobile, they just do not have the services I am looking for.

Good luck, Jim

Well I hope thats the case. Itd really suck for me because I cant upgrade until the 20th and this whole new plan kicks into effect on the 7th. So the way it looks when I do upgrade and Ill lose my unlimited data. Thats almost a kick in the teeth. I guess I wont find out until the 20th when I try to upgrade. Or I could try to do it now and pay the extra $20.

Can you keep us informed on that, g/l hope you stay grandfathered..

I've had Verizon since 1994 (back then they were GTE!). Whenever I have upgraded my phone, my plan has continued. Just upgraded my daughter to iPhone4 from Android and our plan did not change. If they try to change your plan, just contact customer retention and complain. Whenever I've considered changing carriers that's what I'd do and they have always given me what I wanted!

Like jlb27537, I've had a cell phone since the '80's had my plans have never changed just because I upgraded or renewed my plan.

I don't think you have anything to worry about and your plan will continue as is.

Last edited:
Can you keep us informed on that, g/l hope you stay grandfathered..
Well, I actually got into a Verizon earlier today and explained the situation to the man there. Im not sure if it was a manager or not but from his appearance I thought that he was. He explained that if I upgrade before the 7th then yes, I keep my plan. However Id have to pay the early upgrade fee of $20. If I do it after the 7th then I save the $20 but somehow I get a new plan. This made no sense to me, why cant I keep my plan? Whats the difference in a day? He informed me that most people use around 2GB and, just like the other guy, assured me that I have nothing to worry about. If I upgrade to a 4G phone maybe but since Im considering the iPhone I should be okay. I informed him of my want to stream radio and I thought of video as well but he said itll be okay. Frankly I dont trust the man and Im still going to try to find some way to keep my plan. If I started a new one, maybe Id go along with this. But Ive had this plan for two years now, Im not about to give it up just so they can say that something which I dont think is data at all is actually data. Want to listen to the radio? Data. Stream a video? Data. Youtube? Data. Oh, you want to play that online game? Data. Everything you want to do on the phone, data. And youll never know until you get your first bill and you cant explain what happened. Something like that happened years ago and they couldnt tell me anything. Come to find out it was sending pictures to my phone despite the fact that I had unlimited txts, IIRC. None of it made any sense and Im not trying to deal with that again.

I've had Verizon since 1994 (back then they were GTE!). Whenever I have upgraded my phone, my plan has continued. Just upgraded my daughter to iPhone4 from Android and our plan did not change. If they try to change your plan, just contact customer retention and complain. Whenever I've considered changing carriers that's what I'd do and they have always given me what I wanted!
Im going to have to contact Customer Service about this because its crazy. If my phone wasnt acting up I doubt Id even bother upgrading and if the other carriers didnt switch over to this crazy idea already Id probably consider leaving Verizon. They have everyone in a tricky situation and Im sure they know it.

Like jlb27537, I've had a cell phone since the '80's had my plans have never changed just because I upgraded or renewed my plan.

I don't think you have anything to worry about and your plan will continue as is.
I hope so.