What's new

iPhone 4 Battery Specs

this will be good to see how long of battery life i get out of this thing, my 3g did not last long but with everything turned on, also how long do you charge your phone before using it? or do you just use it first day while plugged in charging? i was told thats bad for battery life doing that and to leave it at least 12 hours, i usually try for 24

did anyone else do this? at least for the
initial charging when you first got the phone?
should i/we?

Anything I've read about lithium batteries is that the 1st charge is no different than the 5th, the 50th, the 100th, etc. All that matters is that you drain it completely once a month or so.

Thats what i also heard...

On this morning 9am ,drop to 30% after 7hrs . my setting was , Airplane :ON & OFF application like WiFi ,Location service & fetch new data . any advice?? to prolong battery life

I'm at work all the time so I always leave my Iphone plugged in since I am always at a computer. Is this a good thing or should I be unplugging it as soon as it is charged?

Hello all
Battery-related question please
Battery down and apple store told me I have to change it. I changed it but iPhone 4 is one year old, is this normal I mean can it happen with phone I bought year ago ?

Hello all
Battery-related question please
Battery down and apple store told me I have to change it. I changed it but iPhone 4 is one year old, is this normal I mean can it happen with phone I bought year ago ?

Yeah why not? It can even happen with a phone you bought a hours ago, either the battery is factory defective, or you ruined the battery your self by doing something like applying not commode tension voltage, or using not appropriate USB cable etc... So yes it can happen.

Well from what Ive heard and been reccommended, you should plug or charge your iphone4 whenever the opportunity is present and as much as possible use it while its plugged. The battery of the iphone4 works by cycles. Its battery life has about between 250-500 cycles.
Each cycle is a full 100% and defined by the following situation:
You completely charged your iphone with a 100% charge. At the end of the day, you managed to only use about 45%, so now then you would have 55% left. And the next day comes and you charged it again starting the day with a 100%, and at the end of the second day, you managed to only use 30%, so you have 70% left and then you charged it again to a full 100% and used another 25% with 75% left.
So within this situation, all in all, you have managed to use 45%, 30%, and 25% which adds upto 100% which is one full cycle.

@KidDeuce02 - So a charge cycle doesn't always consist of letting the iPhone's battery drain to 0% before recharging it to a full 100?

And is it also a good thing if you completely drain your iPhone and fully charge it every 1-2 days? Thanks!

Last edited:
@KidDeuce02 - So a charge cycle doesn't always consist of letting the iPhone's battery drain to 0% before recharging it to a full 100?

And is it also a good thing if you completely drain your iPhone and fully charge it every 1-2 days? Thanks!
yes a full cycle consist of letting the battery die, and then recharge it till full 100%.
it's advice to do so once every month.
Personally since i've got my iPhone, almost 7-8 months now i haven't let my battery die completely, i always recharge it once it reach 10% or off the phone if i can't recharge it until i find a charge. I can't say that i've noticed any less battery life and i'm still a power user.

Not sure where the figure for how many cycles comes from, and with full respect the theory just don't stack up IMHO

The iPhone uses Li Ion cells, these do not have the 'memory effect' as did earlier battery technologies, so in theory it matters not if you recharge at 100% or 0 percent, once or 50 times a day regarding affecting on overall battery longevity.

Flatten a low maintenance gel filled car battery, and its reckoned only to ever get 80% of it's previous capacity after a full charge cycle.

CP

Not sure where the figure for how many cycles comes from, and with full respect the theory just don't stack up IMHO

The iPhone uses Li Ion cells, these do not have the 'memory effect' as did earlier battery technologies, so in theory it matters not if you recharge at 100% or 0 percent, once or 50 times a day regarding affecting on overall battery longevity.

Flatten a low maintenance gel filled car battery, and its reckoned only to ever get 80% of it's previous capacity after a full charge cycle.

CP
It's on apple website and in the iphone 4 user guide book that it's good to perform a full cycle once in a month or so for the best battery life. You are not going to tell me that you know better than apple about their own battery, are you??? So let it be like they said, they have prove of what they saying even though like i state in my previous post, i've never performed any full cycle, and never noticed anything bad with my battery's life.

CP
It's on apple website and in the iphone 4 user guide book that it's good to perform a full cycle once in a month or so for the best battery life. You are not going to tell me that you know better than apple about their own battery, are you??? So let it be like they said, they have prove of what they saying even though like i state in my previous post, i've never performed any full cycle, and never noticed anything bad with my battery's life.

I've not seen that info tbh- and why I said it, as to Apple would know better than me i would not contest, but I DO know from a basic understanding of radio and electronics I personally would not have design an antenna system on a £600 phone with the' grip of death' built in - I DO knowbetter than that ;).

I do at least work in the electronics industry (and i have for over 40 years). I offer general advice in best faith, be nice for you to read and perhaps reply to anyone within the context of common courtesy, wether you agree, FULLY understand - or not!

There's likely not be be any harm caused either way, and I'd SUGGEST most users would by default manage a full cycle charge during most months. and those who don't would likely never use the phone enough to notice any improvement or detriment.

CP