What's new

iPhone 4 Battery Question??

jsllim

Reaction score
Ok i bought an iphone from verizon about a month and a half ago. I love it so much and take very good care of it. Lately my iphone will get down to about 40% battery life and just cut off. Then when i plug it back in it will start at 40% again. Why in the world will it not go all the way down to 0% and then start recharging at 1%? I dont know whats going on and if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

JM

also, i have been either on the phone when it has cut off or have been using an app.

If the phone is lasting a reasonable time before cutting off, I would keep trying to turn it on again, after it shuts down, until it won't power up at all. Then I would charge it up for about 5 or 6 hours. This should re-calibrate the battery gauge and it should be fine. If that doesn't work, I would take it back to Apple for a replacement.

jsllim, do what pocobear suggested and let us know if it worked. Please. If not, the phone has a warranty time-frame which you should look into. Keep us posted.

Hii

I have a similar type of problem. I got my iPhone4 on 23 feb 2011 .. It was working perfectly fine but 3 days back it started getting shut down at 18-19% battery remaining. It won't turn on until I put it on charging and when it turns back on it starts charging from 18-19%. I am out of my 3 month complementary service from apple . Pls suggest me a way of correcting this problem. My phone would earlier turn off at 1% battery.

Thanks!

Hii

I have a similar type of problem. I got my iPhone4 on 23 feb 2011 .. It was working perfectly fine but 3 days back it started getting shut down at 18-19% battery remaining. It won't turn on until I put it on charging and when it turns back on it starts charging from 18-19%. I am out of my 3 month complementary service from apple . Pls suggest me a way of correcting this problem. My phone would earlier turn off at 1% battery.

Thanks!

Perform a hard reset: push down both home button and power button for about 10~12 sec. Then phone will off and power on again, and then you will see the while apple logo on the screen, then you release both home button and power button. If your battery cutt off before 4,3,2,1% then restore the iOS.

bab.... a sort of off-topic question: when you or others suggest a "hard reset" or even a soft reset, would the same thing be accomplished by simply turning off the iPhone and turning it back on??

I turn my phone off every night. So do I effectively do a hard, soft, whatever "reset" every time I do? Thanks.

bab.... a sort of off-topic question: when you or others suggest a "hard reset" or even a soft reset, would the same thing be accomplished by simply turning off the iPhone and turning it back on??

I turn my phone off every night. So do I effectively do a hard, soft, whatever "reset" every time I do? Thanks.

No no. There are basically 3 things.
1- power off the phone. When you power off the phone, you are actually doing nothing to the phone other than freezing all the ongoing process in the phone, I call ongoing proccess the phone calls, SMS, Facebook and other notification and you are saving some battery life by powering off the phone. You will notice that if you have 5apps opened in the background, there will still be there, in the background after you power on the phone.
2- hardreset. The push of both power and home buttons for about 12s. This process kill all the ongoing proccess in the phone AT THE MOMENT you are performing the hard reset. Plus in addition, it will try to load and restore some basic files into the system in case te got to be manipulated by a 3rd party app. The hardreset will also free all your ram memory where by a power off/on doesn't free your ram memory.
3- factory restore. A restore of the iOS via iTunes. This will format your phone and load the iOS on it as if it was from the factory.
So when you power off the phone you just prevent it to give you notifications about incoming calls SMS etc... You just freeze the processes in the phone. Once you power it up, everything will be the way you left it before but in the background, plus you are not really freeing any ram memory or doing anything special to the phone by powering it off/on.

Last edited:
great info. what's a soft reset?

Softreset is to Force quit an app: Press and hold the On/Off Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until a red slider appears, then press and hold the Home button until the app quits. You can do the same by also remove an app from the recents list to force it to quit.

A hardreset is a Reset of the iPhone: Press and hold the On/Off Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Softreset is to Force quit an app: Press and hold the On/Off Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until a red slider appears, then press and hold the Home button until the app quits. You can do the same by also remove an app from the recents list to force it to quit.

A hardreset is a Reset of the iPhone: Press and hold the On/Off Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

I heard doing a hard reset may lose/ruin some program or memory, true?

Thanks again, bab.... Very, very good info (about the hard reset). I used it once but didn't know what I was doing. Seems to me like we should "hard reset" our phones weekly or so just to clear the system within!

Again, thanks for keeping me and others straight. You'll eventually regret it when I start really wanting to use iTunes for pics, videos, and songs, and upgrading my iP4 to iOS 5. :))

Thanks again, bab.... Very, very good info (about the hard reset). I used it once but didn't know what I was doing. Seems to me like we should "hard reset" our phones weekly or so just to clear the system within!

Again, thanks for keeping me and others straight. You'll eventually regret it when I start really wanting to use iTunes for pics, videos, and songs, and upgrading my iP4 to iOS 5. :))

Yes I also perform a hardreset almost every 3~4days to kill and restart all runing process.

I'ne never heard such a thing.

I'ne never heard such a thing.