What's new

Iphone 4 5.1.1 Jailbreal (activation needed)

Raul Ruiz

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the iPhone 4 running on the latest version 5.1.1 and firmware 04.12.01. Anyways it is not activated and i want to jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0 to then unlock for t-mobile. The problem is I can not activated because I do not have an at&t sim, and to jailbreak with absinthe you need to be activated. I heard the only way to activate is with at&t sim or jailbreak which i cant do. So what do I do? Can i activate using my t-mobile sim with a gevey and then jailbreak? Or do I need an at&t sim? Downgrade?

Please help me.

Hello,

I have the iPhone 4 running on the latest version 5.1.1 and firmware 04.12.01. Anyways it is not activated and i want to jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0 to then unlock for t-mobile. The problem is I can not activated because I do not have an at&t sim, and to jailbreak with absinthe you need to be activated. I heard the only way to activate is with at&t sim or jailbreak which i cant do. So what do I do? Can i activate using my t-mobile sim with a gevey and then jailbreak? Or do I need an at&t sim? Downgrade?

Please help me.

Perhaps loom into using Straight Talk.

No unlock needed if the phone was locked to AT&T and has the latest modem firmware.

All that's needed us. ST SIM card.
Jailbreak and install TetherMe to get MMS working.

The SIM comes with straight forward instructions.

So even if I activate with a att&t sim. I can't unlock it for t-mobile via jailbreak or gevey

Raul Ruiz said:
So even if I activate with a att&t sim. I can't unlock it for t-mobile via jailbreak or gevey

Nope.

Jailbreaking is not unlocking. They are 2 completely different things.

You can jailbreak the device...but you cannot unlock it. Not possible.

That is why is suggested you look into Straight Talk. $45 a month...unlimited everything. Except I think you get like 3GB of data...but still better then anywhere else.

No unlock required.

Hopefully I am not beating a dead horse by continuing with this thread, but my situation is slightly different. A friend gave me his iphone 4, originally purchased and used legit on AT&T - it is running v5.1.1 and Firmware 04.12.01 same as the original poster. The device successfully unlocked using the old AT&T SIM, and I was able to jailbreak using the Absinthe 2.0.4 Windows client. Everything LOOKS like it went through properly, no errors returned. I popped in my new T-Mobile sim, and things KIND OF work - iMessage and other wifi based stuff is ok, etc. But no cell service and I don't see a way to activate cell data in Settings. My guess is this is maybe because of an incompatible iOS / Firmware combo, but I'm curious if someone with a better level of understanding has any input. Do I need to roll back to an older iOS or something, or just suck it up and get used to the idea of using my crappy Android for a while longer? :)

Hopefully I am not beating a dead horse by continuing with this thread, but my situation is slightly different. A friend gave me his iphone 4, originally purchased and used legit on AT&T - it is running v5.1.1 and Firmware 04.12.01 same as the original poster. The device successfully unlocked using the old AT&T SIM, and I was able to jailbreak using the Absinthe 2.0.4 Windows client. Everything LOOKS like it went through properly, no errors returned. I popped in my new T-Mobile sim, and things KIND OF work - iMessage and other wifi based stuff is ok, etc. But no cell service and I don't see a way to activate cell data in Settings. My guess is this is maybe because of an incompatible iOS / Firmware combo, but I'm curious if someone with a better level of understanding has any input. Do I need to roll back to an older iOS or something, or just suck it up and get used to the idea of using my crappy Android for a while longer? :)

As I stated previously there is absolutely no way to unlock that baseband. Also, once you are on that baseband there is no way to downgrade. When you inserted your old AT&T SIM you didn't unlock the phone, you just activated it. You will still need to use an official SIM if you want to use it as a phone.

Ok for the millionth time the newer basebands can only be unlocked at the present time by the carrier it originally came from.

Second of all, your phone is not i repeat not unlocked, it is activated by itunes, it is jailbroken = you can install tweaks and apps and themes that apple does not allow users to so.

There is no software or hardware unlock for newer basebands at the moment and may or may never be one.

If it was on At&t see if they will unlock it as long as original plan it was on is paid off, they should do so for a fee.

What would really help is if I could get some bitchier responses. Glad to see that experience doesn't equate to actually being helpful or pleasant. Thanks a bill for not just saying "No it won't work because xyz" - you guys are awesome! It was a question, not an insult against your moms, dudes...

What would really help is if I could get some bitchier responses. Glad to see that experience doesn't equate to actually being helpful or pleasant. Thanks a bill for not just saying "No it won't work because xyz" - you guys are awesome! It was a question, not an insult against your moms, dudes...

Well do appologize of you took it as being bitchy, but there is at least 15 threads in the past few days alone that i or others responded too.

Every forum on the internet has a SEARCH button, please use it before posting a similar question.

I like helping ppl that help themselves or try to do so, but for those who just post away without searching first are just to damn lazy to do so.

Search for unlocking 04.12.01 baseband.

I had similar problems, couldnt even activate with original sim card my iphone came with, but go the solution from AMERICAN SEVEN mine was not working since upgraded to 5.1.1 neither would activate. But went trhough the instructions on that site and working perfectly now.