What's new

iphone 3gs unlock/jailbreak warning

rickyfish

Reaction score
Hi my inherited iphone 3gs was "unlocked" at a booth in a shopping mall (was on 3 wanted Virgin) after being warned not to update phone via itunes as it would relock phone I thought it was a small price to pay (plus £15) Anyway got the phone back working on Virgin hurray !!! jailbroken, software version 4.1 no apps available as most need at least 4.3 it seems. no facebook twitter etc

So now I am having to try and reverse the process and find another way to use my phone on Virgin. (all help gratefully received)
my Warning is beware shopping mall booth unlockers as they seem to buy??? a piece of software for a purpose but dont bother to update it so you end up with a phone not a smartphone.

Unfortunately, you're coming into this at a time where we're in a holding pattern w/ iOS 6... Jailbreaking & Unlocking. Either way, the need to Jailbreak & Unlock your 3GS to use it on Virgin is the only way... so reversal of the process won't work. The only thing causing the hold up right now is the JB Devs working the kinks out of the iOS 6 Jailbreak... once it's squared away you'll be able to create a "Custom" iOS 6.0 IPSW w/ Baseband preservation (Baseband is what determines your Unlock).

thanks for info.
dont quite understand ios 6 reference as i thought 5.1 was last firmware for 3gs or are they different things
anyway sounds like iphone destined for bin as functionality at present is poor

thanks again

thanks for info.
dont quite understand ios 6 reference as i thought 5.1 was last firmware for 3gs or are they different things
anyway sounds like iphone destined for bin as functionality at present is poor

thanks again

If you're gonna throw it in the bin I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands for my son to use 😊

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The 3GS is capable of updating to ios 6... the current firmware...

Hold tight as Thomasjtsi said...wait until an Untethered jailbreak is available...spend the time doing your homework on how to jailbreak, try to understand terms like SHSH blobs, baseband preservation, etc as these will be important to you when you start jailbreaking yourself..

thanks I will hold on to phone a little while longer