What's new

iPhone 3GS gets a price tag of 99 cents

wicked

Reaction score

iphone-3gs-three-of-them-650x382.jpg

Because statistics and tops seem to report the popularity of the iPhone 3G is still strong, AT&T has decided to put a price on the gadget in question, namely 99 cents, reports Electronista. Granted, this strategy might smell fishy but it presumably curbs the demand of the still incredible popular phone.

AT&T released a statement saying that the iPhone 3GS is still available at an incredible low price and that the company is confident that costumers still agree that it remains one of the best deals on the market. Also, Ralph de Vega an AT&T wireless chief, warned against a possible shortage due to the huge demand for the iPhone.

Nevertheless, if you still can’t spare a dollar, but want the iPhone 3G you need not panic. The Apple on-line store still offers it free of charge. And you can buy an app instead of spending the buck on the phone.

Adding a price tag on this free phone, doesn’t seem like a smart move to some people. But MacRumors provides puzzled costumers with a possible motive. One AT&T employee stated the following: “I work at AT&T, this is being done to help prevent fraud as the 99 cents cannot be billed to your bill. It must be charged to a credit or bank issued debt card. Fraudsters are using stolen identities to steal these handsets … been an issue since they went free”. It remains to be seen if there’s truth to this explanation, since the most obvious answer is related to the fact that the iPhone 3G has been second best selling smart phone for Q3 in 2011, out competed only by its big brother the iPhone 4. It smells like somebody is trying to make a profit here.

Source: Digital Trends

My wife and I only paid $0.97 each for our iPhone 3GS's on Halloween weekend with AT&T. We walked out of the store with 2 new iPhones, 2 new OtterBox Defender cases and a soda for $83.00

96magnumram said:
My wife and I only paid $0.97 each for our iPhone 3GS's on Halloween weekend with AT&T. We walked out of the store with 2 new iPhones, 2 new OtterBox Defender cases and a soda for $83.00

AT&T is also happy to have your monthly business $$$. They make way more $$$ having you as a monthly cellular and data customer:D

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF.net

What sense does it make? We know that no one can sell a phone at this price, they should mention the whole price so that we can have a clear idea of the price. This is really and old tactics for marketing but I think in current days its not possible and is not right to have such type of publicity.

AT&T is also happy to have your monthly business $$$. They make way more $$$ having you as a monthly cellular and data customer:D

We got our first bill the other day and were pleased. With the family plan we are on, the 2GB DataPro and unlimited messaging and insurance it was $289. Of course that also includes $60 in activation fees and pro rated services. As for the Data plan, right as of right now I have only used 275.5 of our 2048 (whatever it is) of our 2GB and our billing cycle ends in less than 2 weeks, So I dont see me ever going over on data.

Last edited:
96magnumram said:
We got our first bill the other day and were pleased. With the family plan we are on, the 2GB DataPro and unlimited messaging and insurance it was $289. Of course that also includes $60 in activation fees and pro rated services. As for the Data plan, right as of right now I have only used 275.5 of our 2048 (whatever it is) of our 2GB and our billing cycle ends in less than 2 weeks, So I dont see me ever going over on data.

Very cool. Enjoy!!