What's new

iphone 3g confusion about unlocking , jailbreaki updating and then downgrading.

trying59

Reaction score
I ve spent 2 hours goggling . Reading post and people saying no you can't unlock and jailbrake a 3g phone with iphone 3g 4.21 base band 5.15.04 , boatloader 5.9. Then I see Downgrading from iPad 06.15.00 base band to Iphone 05.13.04 now possible. So let me see if I getting this right. You can jailbreak and unlock the phone by going to ipad base band and then down grading to 5.13. As I long time computer geek even I find all the info that says one thing and someone saying something else is pure confusion. I ran forecast 1.3 and it's says I can go to ipad base band and unlock etc.
As I ve said before I posted I look at google . ALso I just read something about if your serial number is about a certain number and you try to use the ipad hack your brick it. Sorry for the noob posting thanks for the help.

The 3G can be jailbroken using RedSn0w. Just download the latest version, download the 4.2.1 IPSW for the iPhone 3G, and jailbreak it there. At the same time, while jailbreaking, tick both "Install Cydia" and "Flash iPad Baseband" so that you're on 06.15.00 baseband and jailbroken with Cydia. Also tick "Deactivate" so that you're not asked for activation at the beginning. Then use UltraSn0w to unlock the iPad baseband directly. If you want, you can downgrade back to 05.13.04 again and unlock using that, but on the 3G, I recommend the iPad Baseband.