What's new

Iphone 11 calls disrupt volume settings

Elasmo

Reaction score
I just upgraded from an iphone 6S to an 11. I keep the volume muted almost all the time; I don’t want apps, ads, videos, anything making noise except actual phone calls. On my new phone, whenever I place or receive a call, suddenly the sound turns on for everything else, and the call’s volume is tied to the other volume. These used to be independent settings, and I could adjust call
volume without affecting the rest of the phone. How do I make the new phone do that? Without it, the iphone’s ability to multitask during a call is completely destroyed. Adjusting individual app volume settings is not an option as that does not affect popups like ads.

Try turning “Change with buttons” OFF in your settings under Sounds and Haptics. With it off it will not affect the volume of the ringer and alerts. Here are 2 screen shots, first is with the setting off and second one is with it on. Hope this helps.
IMG_1450.PNG
IMG_1449.PNG

I did try that, but unfortunately it only affects the actual ringing. The volume of the person speaking on the call is still inexplicably tied to the volume used for apps and other things.

I think now you have to use the buttons in each app individually to be quieter. If I remember correctly, you do that when using the app and it learns that is the sound level you want. I keep my call ringer and volume up, the change with buttons off and teach it app, as it plays,what volume level I want. It has transferred through upgrades in IOS, Apps, and IPhones.