What's new

IOS5 duplicating contacts and calendar entries

rws

Reaction score
Updated my IP4 to IOS 5 and my only malfunction is that it has duplicated my contacts and calendar entries. I use Outlook for this info and am NOT using ICloud. On someone's suggestion I changed ITunes sync for contacts to Yahoo mail which had no contacts, synced to get rid of contacts and then back to Outlook. It did zap my contacts but then reloaded them in duplicate. I have all Icloud stuff set to Off in settings. What am I doing wrong?
Russ

This doubling happened to me as well - with calendar, NOT with contacts. Solved it by going to 'Calendars' from calendar month view - then you see new settings 'all from my Mac' and 'all from iCloud' - apparently calendar is reading events from BOTH. I unchecked EITHER one of these, and events went back to proper single listings. Luckily a quick fix! Not sure about contacts....

I have endured that problem for over a year. All thecontacts in my yahoo account were multiplying by hundreds, and I was having5000 contacts, most of them duplicating. I have emailed Yahoo so many times,and they could not find any solutions at all. I have fiddled with the syncemail in iTunes so many times and it has been fixed finally, but I have no cluewhat has cured it as I have tried so many things consecutively.

I registered with this site only in the hope that I can help some future lost soul that feels my pain. After getting an iPhone 4S at the Apple Store today and agreeing to have the Genius transfer my contact to my new phone before I went home to sync the new phone to the old backup...and all of the contacts were alone, but every number doubled. It would have taken me 6 hours to manually delete all of the duplicates. On a whim, I went into my contacts folder on my macbook (Address Book) and found Card->Look for duplicates, selected that, it compressed everything, and then a sync with the iPhone and everything was normal. Sorry if this is old hat for you techies....but I feel vindicated! Now I can REALLY begin to love my new FLAWLESS device! Hope this helps someone!
LD

aplld said:
I registered with this site only in the hope that I can help some future lost soul that feels my pain. After getting an iPhone 4S at the Apple Store today and agreeing to have the Genius transfer my contact to my new phone before I went home to sync the new phone to the old backup...and all of the contacts were alone, but every number doubled. It would have taken me 6 hours to manually delete all of the duplicates. On a whim, I went into my contacts folder on my macbook (Address Book) and found Card->Look for duplicates, selected that, it compressed everything, and then a sync with the iPhone and everything was normal. Sorry if this is old hat for you techies....but I feel vindicated! Now I can REALLY begin to love my new FLAWLESS device! Hope this helps someone!
LD

+1...

LD

Thanks for the advise. Reduced my duplicate contacts from nearly 15.000 to 328.
icon7.png

I got new 4s... and all fine with contacts. Got new Mac Air and turned on iCloud contact YIKES!! had address pop up from back in the droid days... had to manually get rid of.. Where do these come from? Do I need to go to some setting??? I just want to not have duplicate contacts or numbers...

ICloud makes it convenient to automatically backup, but synchronization has become a nightmare if you try with multiple accounts or PC's. It causes a lot of duplication. I found out some Apps can help, one of them is PhoneBook CleanMaster, help me with synchronization across multiple PC's and clean out duplicates

My calendar entries have also been duplicating. Used the suggested solution of going to Calendars on my phone and de-selected "All from My Mac". Left "All iCloud" checked. Perfect - within moments the duplicates were gone.

Thanks for the solution.

There are really some setbacks for iPhone, I came across the same problem last week after get my iPhone upgraded.
So, I had to go to AppStore... you know, means money... there are several apps regarding this "duplicates" problem, I chose a relative cheaper one - "PhoneBook CleanMaster" if I remember right at $0.99, and it works perfect!

The other problem apart from duplicating addresses, is it deletes phone numbers. It leaves the contact name, but the tel numbers are deleted when you sync the IPhone 4S. I have checked the address book on the Mac and the phone numbers there are gone too on the same contacts as the Iphone. This is very annoying.

I hope Apple sorts a solution to these issues.