What's new

iOS - Restore to current version on iPhone 4S...

WhaleTrain

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question. I just bought a second-hand iPhone 4S 16GB model but am having some trouble with iOS. Basically, I wanted to know is it possible to restore to my current iOS version, like a fresh install without updating? Currently, the device hasn't been jailbroken (As far as I know) and I wanted to install a fresh copy of 5.1.1 so I could jailbreak again.

I'm having some trouble with certain parts of the OS, so didn't want to point the finger at jailbreaking obviously after. Am I better just upgrading to iOS 6 and waiting for a jailbreak? I'm not bothered about jailbreaking 100% as my iPad 2 is jailbroken so It's not something new to me.

Thanks,
WhaleTrain

EDIT: I have read about the SHSH Blobs and was wondering, if I jailbreak now, will cydia save my blobs for 5.1.1?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Have a read here for answers hopefully

Thanks for the reply. This partially answered my question. I don't have the blobs, can I still use redsnow to do the task? If I need the Blobs and me currently still on 5.1.1, will Cydia save these even though Apple have stopped signing them?

Why don't you run redsn0w as if your going to build a custom .IPSW and click "Remote" to retrieve your SHSH blobs from Cydia....if your iPhone has been previously jailbroken you will be able to download your blobs.....No blobs then your out of luck....

If you restore as a new iPhone using iTunes it will update to ios6 and unfortunately there is no way to downgrade a 4s back to 5.1.1 after updating to ios6. So if you really want the jailbreak I suggest you jailbreak now and wait to update when an ios6 jailbreak is released.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replys' guys. I tried Tiny Umbrella and it said that Cydia didn't have them so I'm presuming it hasn't been jailbroken before. Can I say jailbreak now and let Cydia get the blobs and save them or does it not work that way? Would Apple need to be signing the firmware in order for Cydia to get the blobs?

I will try the RedSn0w method by the way too.

WhaleTrain said:
Thanks for the replys' guys. I tried Tiny Umbrella and it said that Cydia didn't have them so I'm presuming it hasn't been jailbroken before. Can I say jailbreak now and let Cydia get the blobs and save them or does it not work that way? Would Apple need to be signing the firmware in order for Cydia to get the blobs?

I think its too late once apple stops signing it to even have cydia get them.

wingzfan61 said:
I think its too late once apple stops signing it to even have cydia get them.

+1... once Apple has closed the signing window on a particular iOS version, the window for 5.1.1 closed about 2 weeks ago, there is no way to save SHSH's for that version.

Thanks for the reply guys. Might just upgrade to iOS 6 to see if it will fix my problems. I can wait for iOS 6 being jailbroken so I will wait.

All your help is appreciated :)

WhaleTrain said:
Thanks for the reply guys. Might just upgrade to iOS 6 to see if it will fix my problems. I can wait for iOS 6 being jailbroken so I will wait.

All your help is appreciated :)

What kind of problems are you having?

What kind of problems are you having?

Just little bits like sound going quiet after using Siri then it comes back loud and notifications sometimes not showing up for messages i/e I can be in the messages app, lock the screen from there and basically I don't get a lock screen notification when I get a message, instead it just does the 'Swoosh in' sound. I initiated a call from Siri today and it didn't ring just went straight to the person I was calling - meaning there was no ringing sound, it just connected me to the other person. I think the previous owner just did a reset from settings so I thought maybe a restore could help?

First issue of sound with siri etc. thats a known issue, cant fix it.

Second issue with message notification. Thats a timing thing. The message is coming in at the same time as closing the screen. The swoosh you hear is when you get a message while the conversation is open. So its incoming at the same time your turning the phone off acting like the message is open, hence no notification on the lockscreen.

Third issue. Again a siri thing having the mic still open effecting the speaker playing the ringer. Not much you can do.

Last edited:
First issue of sound with siri etc. thats a known issue, cant fix it.

Second issue with message notification. Thats a timing thing. The message is coming in at the same time as closing the screen. The swoosh you hear is when you get a message while the conversation is open. So its incoming at the same time your turning the phone off acting like the message is open, hence no notification on the lockscreen.

Third issue. Again a siri thing having the mic still open effecting the speaker playing the ringer. Not much you can do.

Oh thanks for the help. I guess there really is nothing wrong with the phone at all. I might just go and jailbreak now :)

First I am very novice to the IPhone. I have a Iphone 4s. It is a O2 UK phone and I am using it with gevey sim card.
Last week, somehow I started the Itunes application and it gave a prompt to update my device to IOS 6. Which, I did.

But then the phone has stopped working. Its like a dead phone now. I tried few of the other users to help, but they also have no clue.

what can be the reason behind the same? and is there any hope of installing the old software again?

On the 4S, unfortunately you can't downgrade through the iOS barrier (from 6 to 5). And there should be a software upgrade for the Gevey if I'm not mistake to support iOS 6. Don't think there's a hardware change since I didn't get one personally. My advise, is if possible, contact O2 and see if you can buy an IMEI unlock from them, which I believe is something like 25£