What's new

iOS Location Tracking and Storing Issue Is Most Likely A Bug

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
location_tracking_bug.JPG

9to5 Mac reports on a blog post today from Daring Fireball’s John Gruber which says that the issue of iOS secretly storing your location data and tracking your movements that was revealed yesterday is most likely due to a bug. Gruber says that the bug is to do with a consolidated.db. Apparently, the file is supposed to store your recent location details, but because of a bug, it is not deleting older location information like it is supposed to. Here’s the direct quote from Gruber explaining it more thoroughly:

“I don’t have a definitive answer, but my little-birdie-informed understanding is that consolidated.db acts as a cache for location data, and that historical data should be getting culled but isn’t, either due to a bug or, more likely, an oversight. I.e. someone wrote the code to cache location data but never wrote code to cull non-recent entries from the cache, so that a database that’s meant to serve as a cache of your recent location data is instead a persistent log of your location history.”

According to 9to5 Mac, Gruber believes that the bug will be fixed in the next iOS release.

Source: Gruber: iOS location storing is a bug, getting fixed in future iOS update | 9 to 5 Mac Gruber: iOS location storing is a bug, getting fixed in future iOS update | Apple Intelligence